Good Budget Skimmer?

Ace5high

Reefing newb
Ive been tossing the idea around about adding a skimmer to my sump, Ive got plenty of room and figure Id like to at least give them a try at some point....

Ive heard the ASM G series are pretty good? any other recommendations in the 200-300 range?

Skimmers are not absolutley necessary. If you have a good fuge, good flow and other methods you can get to zero 'trates without a skimmer.

Skimmers are not absolutley necessary. If you have a good fuge, good flow and other methods you can get to zero 'trates without a skimmer.

Well, Im running a scrubber which is keeping my trates and phos at a zero...

But Im having algae issues in my water, not on my rocks or glass... Just green water which makes me just feel like I have very heavy nutrients in my water thats causing this. I was actually considering running a skimmer maybe 12 hours a day and the scrubber 100% of the time to cut down on "SOME" of the detritus and organic waste...

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I think you are just going through a bacteria/micro algae bloom as a response to the new lights. Give it a week or two and i think it will go away on its own.

I hope your right Little_Fish... Im freaked out because I would hate to loose any of my new SPS or Blueberry Gorgonians... Ive been waiting 3 months to get those Gorgonians :-(

If you have the blueberry, then i would pray like hell you keep the green water stuff. They are sooo hard to keep in captivity because we cant feed them properly. The only people i know who have keep them successfully had had a constant green water feed on their tank.

If you have the blueberry, then i would pray like hell you keep the green water stuff. They are sooo hard to keep in captivity because we cant feed them properly. The only people i know who have keep them successfully had had a constant green water feed on their tank.

Ya, is sorta Ironic isnt it? I guess at least this way I wont need to culture my own Phytoplankton! lol

Then again since this would probably come at the expense of everything else in the tank, Im still hoping it clears...

btw I do know a few people that have had luck for at least over a year with them, just lots of constant feeding

Ya, is sorta Ironic isnt it? I guess at least this way I wont need to culture my own Phytoplankton! lol

Then again since this would probably come at the expense of everything else in the tank, Im still hoping it clears...

btw I do know a few people that have had luck for at least over a year with them, just lots of constant feeding

Exactly, constant feeding. Thats what the green water drip is. And i dont think anyone should count a year as a success with anything except octopuses

I didn't say they died, lol .... Im just saying they are still healthy 14 months later on their current regiment.... What is it around here... :12:

Last edited:
Sorry for getting a bit off topic though...

I was totally torn between the Reef Octopus Extreme160 or SWC Cone 160...

After some research I decided to order the RO Extreme XS 160 only because it seemed to be rated for a little larger system and have a better pump.

I cant wait :D

I have the ASM Mini-G, seems fine to me, just a little whooshy! You'd be looking at the G-1 or 2. Good luck!

Ok, my SX 160 arrived and im not sure what to think.. Im kinda regretting my choice to go with the RO. Got everything all setup and first impressions are that its very noisy, major downside. Also, according to the labels on the skimmer the Min water level is at 14" and Max being 19"!!! That cant be right I thought over and over... After much frustration trying to figure out what level to have my water I finally checked their website and here is the answer CoralVue provides: "What water level should I run my in-sump protein skimmer at?
This is the question we get asked the most about in sump protein skimmers, there really is no set depth that the skimmer needs to run in. The two things you need to look for is that the pump is covered with at the minimum or 1″ of water about the highest point on the pump and second is that the water level in the sump is below the water outlet pipe on the skimmer."

Thats pretty far from precise if you ask me, I cant help but be left wondering, did they do anything whatsoever to try to dial their skimmers in to the best performance at all?? Keep in mind this is a blanket statement for ALL of their skimmers from the $175-$700 skimmers, and thats the answer they are going with?...Yikes. Not to mention the fact that they "get asked this question "THE MOST" of any other question... heres a thought, than PUT that in the instructions!

Now obviously I cannot rate the performance because it isn't broken in just yet but right off hand I can tell you that its not producing nearly the amount of micro bubbles I was expecting. That may be because the pump only came with 1 impeller installed, what ever happened to the choice of mesh or Needle they were shipping with? I guess Im going to have to just spend more $ on an upgrade impeller.

So far im pretty disappointed and really wish I went with the SWC Cone but will update once its running to see how the performance measures up.

I've only heard good things about that skimmer, so I hope your issues get resolved in the next few weeks! It does take a couple weeks for skimmers to break in, so I wouldn't worry too much about performance during that time.

Back