Good HOB Skimmer?

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
My Fission Nano is doing okay, but it's in the tank. No room in the refugium for it. I need more lights on the tank and this skimmer is preventing me from scooting my PC light back almost 3 more inches towards the back of the tank. If I can scoot that PC unit back, then that will open up the front for another light fixture.

Any recommendations for a good HOB skimmer on my 30g reef?

I've been looking at Fostersmith, but there are several choices. I have NO IDEA which ones would be a decent buy and work well.

Thanks

(I came across a local reefer who was selling a dual 55w PC unit for $30, but I need another inch of clearence to put it on my tank. If not for the damn skimmer, I could buy it and bump my lights from 4.3w/gallon up to 8w/gallon)

:frustrat:

I read the reviews on that skimmer. Seams like it overflows a lot. Are they talking about it pumps water out of the tank? Or the cup overflows because it has no external drain line?

I'm kinda looking for one with a drain line that I can run into a collection jug that will be stored under the cabinet.

Great Skimmer
A little finiky on the initial set-up
the cup does overflow if it isnt set up right
I watched it like a hawk for the first week or so I overflowed it once lost about a gallon of water no biggie..

But for the $ you cant beat it ..

Those will overflow if there not dialed in right,but thats with about any skimmer.
You can always drill and tap the cup for a drain hose.

The only HOT skimmer pre-drilled for a hose is the Typhoon that I'm aware of.I don't know how good of a skimmer it is though.I think Bobby liked it.

Make sure there's enough space from the wall to the the DT for whatever skimmer you decide.

marine depot has a aqua c nano remora hang on skimmer, been wanting one for my nano, i got a remora pro and a regular remora, and a prizm deluxe and a prizm pro all in use on mine.

My Nano Fission is doing the job. The cup still collects a bit more water than I'd like, but I think it's still breaking in. It is VERY sensitive to water height. 1/4" makes it either dump water in the cup or nothing at all. Living in Colorado with the dry climate, I get easily 1/2 gallon fluctuation per day from evaporation.

It's just in the way. :frustrat:

That 1/2 gallon is enough to change the water level in my tank. That little bit of water level fluctuation makes my skimmer not work at all towards the end of the day. I tune the skimmer to work when the tank is topped off and the salinity is correct. By the end of the day, the water level is 1/4" lower and the skimmer doesn't work anymore.

The more I think about it:

I'm using a CPR Aquafuge refugium right now.

They make a HOB refugium with a built in skimmer. It will fit on the back of my tank. Same price as a good skimmer. 1 gallon more capacity. I can use the same refugium light that I have right now. Same light stands.

OHHHHHHH!! Shoulda!! Woulda!! Coulda!! Darnit! Now I gotta to spend more money.

Or, I could just forget about it. I can move my current PC light back and add a single bulb fixture at the front of the tank. Still use the skimmer I have. I've seen them as high as 55w. That would give me 6w/gallon of light.

It can be shipped. So can the skimmer. :mrgreen: No lights or light stands on the refugium. I'll need those for the new one. But, I'd send the fuge with factory powerhead that came with it. I'll even wipe it down and rinse with freshwater before I ship it. Pack it in peanuts and a nice box.

I'll be buying that other fuge in about a month.

I think it cost me about $120 for this refugium and $25 for the skimmer.

PM or email me if ya want to talk about it.

Back