Got a green carpet anemone

SalteeDogg

Reefing newb
Just got an 8" green carpet anemone and boy what a MONSTER(for only $50)!!! I actually bought it for my clown to host in but I been reading horror story after horror story how they can eat your fish. I actually just fed it a piece of krill and it was a show. Im just hoping if I stay ontop of feeding it that it wont bother my other fish. How long does it take for a percula to host in the anemone? I also noticed my tank had some spider web looking stuff on a couple rocks, you cant really notice it unless you are inspecting around. Is this normal?

the "spider web" looking stuff is probably spaghetti worms, they are good filter feeders for the tank.

a clownfish will or will not host. it just depends on the fish. some do and some dont. how long has the tank been set up ?? anemones HAVE to have a matured tank to thrive. i would not add an anemome until at least 6 months of tank stability, a year would be even better.

be careful with those buggers, they will sting you and the barbs will hurt like crazy be cautious working around it. Most people don't keep them because of their massive size potential - we are talking FEET wide, within a few years. The more you feed it, the bigger it gets. There is really no way to keep it from eating your fish in the tank. If they happen to get too close - <BAM> toast. They sure are pretty though. I would like to see a pic or video of it eating something

-Doc

post a pic of that "web-looking stuff", it could also be your corals sending out their chemical warfare dileneating their territory. Mine tend to do it each time I move something or when I add a new coral

-Doc

The ''web stuff'' could be vermetid snails.They are a sessile snail that lives in tubes and throw out a sticky thread to catch food particles.Reef safe but can get annoying.

I think the web stuff might be from my brain coral...It won't stay in one place and is constantly swelling and shrinking all the time! Could be the snails too who knows!
Does anybody know why this carpet is swelling up and almost looks like its trying to invert itself? It looks like an onion with a flower top?!

Like others have said, I don't think carpet anemones are good additions to most tanks. Not only have I heard tons of stories of them catching and eating any fish that swims by but I have SEEN one catch and eat it's own hosting clown with my own eyes. Carpets are one of the most aggressive anemones and are dangerous to fish, period.

There is no guarantee that the clown will host in the anemone. Some take to them quickly, some never do.

I'm with reeffreak vermetid snails is my guess on the web looking things. has it been going on for some time? or just recent? have you recently added any new liverock?

I have seen photos of those carpet nems in books that are bigger than my living room - that is why they call them "carpet" they take up a lot of room. I am not sure about trying to split them when they get too big. It may be possible to keep a part and return the rest when it gets too big. Maybe just a daydream, but might be worth researching if you plan to keep it long term

-Doc

when it comes to clown hosting, the tank raised ones are not as willing to host as a wild caught. it make take months to a year for one to host. or it may never at all.

Here is a quick pic of my carpet...He's kind of shriveled he is alot bigger than this...

6x8djjd.jpg

oops. did that come out wrong? sometimes things sound better in my head than they do in real life. my bad :bounce:

-Doc

Back