green algae

jamestown478

Reefing newb
I have some green algae that kinda looks like grass that keeps growing on my live rock and green algae that keeps appearing on my glass. I don't have the water specs at the moment but I have been trying to kill off the algae with algaefix. Any other info needed to help diagnose this problem let me know. The algaefix doesn't seem to be handling it.

We should really figure out what is causing the algae. How many fish do you have? How often do you feed? When you get your water specs you should post them here.

Also algaefix tends to cause more harm then good, especially if you have inverts in your tank.

And +1 to Erin, we need to figure out why are growing hair algae before you can truly get rid of it.

The only way to get rid of the hair algae is to get to the root of the problem(s) and fix them. Here's a quick list of things you'll want to do.

1. Only use ro or ro/di water for water changes and top off's
2. Cut back on feedings by at least 1/3 or more.
3. Make sure to do weekly water changes of 25%
4. Pull out as much of the hair algae as possible
5. Do a blackout period with no lighting for 3-4 days followed by an immediate 25% water change. Then slowly increase your lighting back to the normal schedule.
6. Continue normal water changes and monitor all tank params closely for any changes.
7. Make sure you have fresh light bulbs as old bulbs can cause algae to grow.

That's my advise in a nutshell. Good luck!

Also, read this thread and it will help you.

https://www.livingreefs.com/great-algae-genocide-war-2010-a-t24202.html

The only way to get rid of the hair algae is to get to the root of the problem(s) and fix them. Here's a quick list of things you'll want to do.

1. Only use ro or ro/di water for water changes and top off's
2. Cut back on feedings by at least 1/3 or more.
3. Make sure to do weekly water changes of 25%
4. Pull out as much of the hair algae as possible
5. Do a blackout period with no lighting for 3-4 days followed by an immediate 25% water change. Then slowly increase your lighting back to the normal schedule.
6. Continue normal water changes and monitor all tank params closely for any changes.
7. Make sure you have fresh light bulbs as old bulbs can cause algae to grow.

That's my advise in a nutshell. Good luck!

Also, read this thread and it will help you.

https://www.livingreefs.com/great-algae-genocide-war-2010-a-t24202.html

ok I will try this:
1 I only use ro water in the tank
2 i will try cutting back on the feeding
3 i already do weekly water changes
4 i will pull out as much algae as possibly
5 I will shut off the lights for a few days and see what happens

I will try all of that and see if it helps. I will also post up my water tests tomorrow when I have a chance to test it.

Well, its not going to go away over night. And if you just turned the lights back on you need to do a large water change and pull out as much algae as you can by hand. If you dont do the water change, the algae that did die will just turn into nutrients for other algae to grow off of.

If you were using tap water previously to this, it might take several waterchanges to dilute that out enough so that it isnt feeding the algae.

I would test for phosphates and get yourself a phosphate median, also if you can turn off all water flow and siphon some out daily that also helps, but most all just make sure you get rid of its food source. nitrate/phosphate/ silicate and also make sure the RO/DI water your getting is good, sometimes the membrane is bad in the filtration, which then your only adding insult to injury
Mark

Back