Green wrasse buried himself?

Drvillen

Reefing newb
I picked up a small green wrasse, after acclimating he has buried himself in the sand. Did this last night when the lights went out, I can see his tail sticking out. Do I leave him there or move the sand so that he comes out? Any help with this would be great, you folks have done fantastic in the past with helpful suggestions. Oh ya, by small he is about an inch and a quarter long.

Its a wrasse thing. Mine used to hit the sand so hard when it went to sleep at night that there was a sand explosion behind the rocks.

+1 Chris. Wrasses are funny where they like to sleep. Mine six line will wedge himself in the tightest, smallest spot in the LR. Some of them make a mucus cocoon of sorts when they sleep to help protect them.

Wrasses are definitely unique. I still haven't figured out where my yellow coris sleeps. He just disappears and then reappears in the morning!

make sure the tank has a cover.

This is so true. They are jumpers. My beloved yellow wrass occasionally jumped out of the tank when someone slammed a door at my house. One day I found our little rat dog chewing on him like a bone. I'm still traumatized.

Last edited:
This is so true. They are jumpers. My beloved yellow wrass occasionally jumped out of the tank when someone slammed a door at my house. One day I found our little rat dog chewing on him like a bone. I'm still traumatized.

Sorry for your loss, yes the tank has a cover :Cheers:

I am sorry Chris, I lost mine as well.
The dog did not get to him, but he somehow jumped out through a small area near the filter and I did not find him in time.. :(

+1 All above, I had a blue headed wrasse that would actaully sleep all night buried in the sand. I always wanted to get a picture of it, but you could barely tell he was under there except for a bit of his tail and his lips. I was always worried my hermit would come accross him one night and think he was food, never happened though...he instead was killed by an automatic feeder mishap :sad: :frustrat:

As crazy as Spaz (a fitting name I thought :mrgreen: ) was, he wasn't a jumper, never had glass and never had to worry. My clown is more of a jumper than my wrasse ever was....but different fish have different personalities.

I freaked out when I didn't see my wrasse for what seemed like forever! It was really 2 weeks and it had just changed its sleeping cycle.

My first experience with Wrasses was with a Dragon Wrasse. I put him in the tank and he went diving right for the substrate. I had never heard or seen anything like that before. I thought WTF! I thought I had a (excuse me) retarded fish. Something must be wrong with it. I had a defective fish!

Watched Booger do the sand dive last night. Too cool, kicks up a little sand storm and then gone. May not be able to keep him, Nemo, my clown is already chasing him down, runs at him when he gets in his little zone. :(

Glad to read this thread. My new six line is MIA when the lights are out. I added him at the same time as my clowns and they all get along fantastically.

Watched Booger do the sand dive last night. Too cool, kicks up a little sand storm and then gone. May not be able to keep him, Nemo, my clown is already chasing him down, runs at him when he gets in his little zone. :(

He'll be fine...either he'll start chasing the clown back or he'll learn to stay out of his zone...if the clown starts chasing him all over the tank, then that might be a problem. My wrasse was kind of the cop of the tank, trying to keep the peace. When my blue damsel would pick on my Tang.

He'll be fine...either he'll start chasing the clown back or he'll learn to stay out of his zone...if the clown starts chasing him all over the tank, then that might be a problem. My wrasse was kind of the cop of the tank, trying to keep the peace. When my blue damsel would pick on my Tang.

Nope, found him all stressed this morning, instead of waiting for him to die took him out and brought him back to LFS, they took him back no Q's asked. Would rather return him than watch him get picked on and killed. Nemo did that to my chromis, little bugger!!

Back