Half the crab he used to be?

Saltydogg

Reefing newb
Ok weird question time. I just bought an arrow crab from LFS, didn't notice until I got home, but it only has 3 sets of legs and a set of pinchers. Every picture I see online or any description that I've read for it says that they should have 4 pairs of legs and a set of pinchers and I've seen no signs that any appendage is trying to grow back... This is the same LFS that sold me a sick fish that ended up wiping out my initial tank set up, should I be worried?

ALSO, I've heard convincing arguments on both sides of the discussion about whether or not arrows are harmful to your reef. Any thoughts or personal experience with them?

Last edited:
Do not worry if the crab losses a limb or two in transportation they will regrow once the crab is settled in and is feeding properly.

Stenorhynchus Seticornis - Arrow Crab. - It will feed on and destroy soft corals, such as Xenia spp. and will pick at zoanthid anemones and some corals. From the Caribbean, recommended for large tanks 100 gal and larger, will prey on many smaller animals and meaty foods, very aggressive, will attacK other crustaceans, such as banded coral shrimps. Its claws are small and while it does not usually bother most sessile invertebrates, it will destroy ploychaete annelid populations, which are some of the better reef aquarium scavengers. Predation on these annelids will be significantly deleterious. hope something here helps. arrow crabs grow up to 6" across legs. and body apprx. 2".

Last edited:
Jeez, thats gonna be a huge crab, don't feel bad, I have 2 queen conqs in my 125. They will grow a foot in length.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I noticed a couple of my xenia's "hands" had been snipped off, and was wondering if he could be the bandit. He likes to attach himself just above my anemone and nesting clownfish at night, so was wondering if he had his eyes set on the anemone or the fish but it sounds like the anemone is what he is after. I was hoping he'd take care of some of the huge bristle worms that are in my tank, but he hasn't given them a second look so far. D'oh! :grumble: .

Back