hang on back overflow

Um....Ya looks like a great overflow box, I went with one from theses guy. Filtration - Overflow For $40 and then another $15 for the aqalifter pump, the price was right. With this box you do need to add a small piece of pvc and a sponge with a airline maybe costs another $10. The box is the same design as the CPR one. Which is here CPR CS Overflow Boxes you still need the aqua lifter pump so add that $15 for it. The one I have has gone through three power failures since last September and it has restarted each time with no issue.

The cpr ones are what im lookong at! Tricksteers, overflow box 89 dollars not including lifter pump stand or filter! Another 23dollars and were good to go. Good to hear someone has a good experience

Ya I like the cpr design but since I was getting lights and a return pump from aquatraders I went ahead and got the box from them. Saved me on shipping.

The reason why I dont recommend the over flow that require the airlifter pumps is because I have heard of numerous stories of the pumps burning out after a very short amount of time.

+1 LF, I have the CPR one and in the 2 years my tank was running I had to replace the aqualifter pump 3 times. And if the pump goes out the overflow doesn't keep the same flow rate which could lead to your tank overflowing.

+1 LF, I have the CPR one and in the 2 years my tank was running I had to replace the aqualifter pump 3 times. And if the pump goes out the overflow doesn't keep the same flow rate which could lead to your tank overflowing.

I am on my second aqualifter pumps in the past 4 years. The first onewent out because I didn't put that prefilter in line with it. So it clogged up with crap. The second one has been running almost 3 years no problems. IME, if you get the prefilter, the pumps will last a lot longer

This is the only type of overflow I would recommend, no chance of failure or other associate problems with overflows

prefilter box, siphon box, overflow box, siphon overflow, Eurobrace, Euro-brace, Euro-tank

I run their full filtration setup on my 180, while his stuff is expensive, it works as design and for the most part is set and forget.

If I were ever to run a non drilled tank and need an overflow, this is the only one I would consider. Do you really want to trust your ability to not flood on an air pump with a demonstrated history of failure issues?

I have a standard hob overflow and don't use an airlifter pump. Running for a year now without any problems (I should probably go find some wood to knock on now LOL). One disaster-prevention step I did take though was to add a float switch to my return pump, that way the return pump will turn off if the sump gets too low. Prevents both the pump from burning out if water gets too low, and from the DT overflowing if the siphon on the overflow fails. Only additional recommendation I would make is to add a true swing check valve at the base of your return line so that back-flow from the water sitting in the line doesn't continually turn the pump on and off if the water level reaches the float switch. I tried a non-swing check valve and the thing sounded like a train so I took it out. I still need to get myself a true-swing one.

Back