Heaters help

arizonagrace

Reefing newb
Hello. I have had 4 of my stealth heaters short out in the past 4 or 5 months. Only one of them got the water high (to 100 degrees), so I have been so very lucky. They short out, and then I get an electrical smell in the tank. Fortunately, on 3 of them I was in the room and was able to take care of tank immediately.

I have 3 other tanks with stealth heaters in them at the moment and I am very concerned. I have had all these heaters for about 4 years, having purchased them all at nearly the same time.

3 questions:

1) I have some of the same heaters that I have not been using in over 2 years, and I want to know should I use them. They worked perfectly fine when last used.

2) Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced heater that will not shatter glass if it breaks or shorts out? I have saltwaters and there is no way to get back there to clean up the glass if it breaks in the back portion. And I don't want to be cleaning it up in a regular tank either.
I would love to find a heater that is shatterproof, reliable with adjustable temp control and that I know I can trust because I trust all of your opinions.

3) Should I routinely be replacing heaters? I wondered that about the ones in the saltwater.

Please keep in mind that I have to purchase at least 6 to put in my current tanks. Thank you so very much.

I personally don't like glass heaters. The always seem to have issues with leaking and shorting out. Look for a decent titanium heater with external control elements. They last a long time compaired to the glass ones. Spend a bit more, but don't buy as often.

You need to contact Marineland about those heaters.There was a recall and for the same reasons you just posted.

I just sent an email to Marineland and told them about the heaters. All together, I had 7. 3 are still in tank (taking those out) and 4 shorted out on me. I know I had more because at one time I had 18 fish tanks, but they are probably in the attic and I am not worried about those. I hope they replace these 7 so I don't have to spend a lot of money, but I will probably get titanium ones anyway.

I have been looking for a new heater to order. I found one called CA titanium heater. I read the reviews on one site but they say this one is terrible. Anyone know of a titanium or a GOOD heater.

Try this one

ViaAqua Titanium Aquarium Heater

I had the marineland heaters and have now gone to jager glass, supposedly unbreakable, only time will tell but I have been using an external controller and it works like a charm!!! But for so many different tanks I think these will work!

Back