Hello

tra_w

Reefing newb
Hello,
I am wanting to convert my 70 gallon freshwater tank into saltwater. However in my area there arnt alot of options as far as lfs go. I would like to know how I can go about this cost freindly and still have a nice set up. I have a few things that i need aready but there are still things i need to get. I know that there are swaps and things like that but none where i live. I have searched online with no luck. could someone please give me some ideas. thanks

howdy and welcome to the site.. :D
if your looking for rock try marcorocks.com
going the dry rock route will save you alot of money over putting all live in..
You can try Craigslist also for good bargains on stuff.. Not sure exactly what you are needing to get, a little more info would help..

springfield is a pretty good distance for me. probly 4 or 5 hours. I still need to get the sand and rock and salt mix to even start my transformation of this tank. The tank was made for saltwater. It has power filter, under substrate filter, light hood. See a few month back I decided that i wanted to try saltwater so i got a one gallon tank and set it up the guy and the fs where i bought premixed salt water told me that it would be hard to keep it going but if i do it then i should have no trouble with the 70 gal well it is still looking good and the one fish thats in it is happy so i belive i am ready to start the 70 gal once i get rid of my fresh water fishes.

Hello and Welcome!

The under gravel filter isnt a good tool for saltwater, it is actually one of the worst choice for filtration you can buy. The bulk of your filtration will come from the live rock, so make sure you have plenty of live rock and you should be fine!

I kinda figured that the under gravel filter would be bad and with sand for sure. i do how ever still need to get some power heads and a protien skimmer. See i am one of those that it is going to take me some real time to get this tank all set up. maybe in the next year it will all be set up cause i will have to buy my saltwater from fs cause i wont have a ro/di unit then ill have to get all my sand after that ill have to buy the rock a few peices at a time cause i dont have lots of funding to just go and buy 60-70 pounds of rock at once. How ever i know i have seen that there is a dry rock at lowes or home depot that can be used for the base rock is this true. That or make my own base rock.

Alot of your equipment you can buy online and it will in most cases be cheaper than from the LFS.

Like marcah said get your rock in the dry form (it will save you a ton of money and you can get it all at the same time) Marcorocks.com is a great place to buy dry rock from. Then you only need a few pounds of live rock to seed it. Don't think I would use rock from HomeDepot or Lowes. Go with Marcorocks or ReefRocks instead.

Check out Live Aquaria, MarineDepot, Bulk Reef Supply and ThatFishPlace to buy online. Most have free shipping if you spend over a certain amount. I even buy my salt from ThatFishPlace and it's free shipping with a $100 order. Just about everything I get is from online (except Frozen Food) as I have found it is cheaper than the LFS. I've even ordered a couple of fish from Live Aquaria that my LFS couldn't get for me.

Also, Hello and Welcome to the world of SW. :D

Its totally fine to move slow! In fact, it actually much better because then you have time to properly research everything, there are many many many pitfalls in this hobby

Its more important to have the rocks than the sand, and your rocks need to be sitting on the glas bottom because its more stable than when they are sitting on the sand (the sand can shift around over time)

check out www.marcorocks.com for a place to buy cheap, dry rock

Hello all I got a Kenya Tree Leather Coral yesterday but i think something has gone wrong ithg it i have been looking in on it and it has not opened back up like it was when i got it at the lfs. I am afraid it is dead how can i tell if this is the case. It is growing on a little piece of live rock rubble could it come back from the seed in the live rock or what. please i need help with this my takes water is at the right conditions even. so i am lost on this.

kenya trees are a type of leather and leathers often go through a phase where they just look like crap. However, give them a few weeks and they perk right up. This tends to happen when they are growing and need to shed some skin or I have noticed when they are moved to a new tank they also do this.

Dont worry, kenya trees are pretty much impossible to kill. Keep an eye on it, they are considered a weed because they grow like crazy and then drop branch and can take over a tank.

well my Kenya Tree Leather Coral opened up for a litle bit today but is now closed again. i dont know its is new to me. i think i am going to start trying to buy a pound of rock at a time at the lfs till i have what i need and hope for the best. i thought it was cool though that i went to the lfs and when i bought my turbo snail the guy let me have a little piece of live rock with the start of Kenya Tree Leather Coral on it it was about the sice of his coral frags that he sells. he said that it was a good freebi...lol

my kenya tree broke off its rock now i can find it in the tank what should i do i am afraid i may have barried it in the substrate. It was my first coral and only coral in my tank. I was looking forward to watching it grow and now it is lost. I wish i could get my hands on some more or other types of corals but my funds are kinda zip right now. So if anyone would be willing to help a newbie out it would greatly appreciated. Thanks all even just and answer to what to do about my kenya that is lost in the tank would be helpful.

Hello all I have moved up to a 5 gal tank now i have one feather duster, turbo snail,blue damsel,red leg hermit, and some kind of red plant. still no live rock that is my next phase i know should have started with it but the tank has been happy for a while now with out it so havent been to worried however i am ready to get my tank looking nice cause if i can handle this small tank then i am going to convert my big tank from fresh to salt. I am woundering how do feather dusters reproduce if anyone can tell me cause i would like to see more of them in my tank. I found a fish store that is about an hour from me that sells LR for 8.00 a pound is that a bad price. they are the only place close to me at all. well i hope i get some feed back thanks all.

Back