Here comes the green algae

jb61264

Reefing newb
Ok...I've developed some green algae growth (which I've read is to be somewhat expected in a new tank). Tank has been cycled for about a week or so. I added a lawnmower blenny last Tuesday. He is fat and happy and munching away at the various rocks, but I don't see him keeping up with the "entire" tank.

What are other "funtional" animals that will graze on the algae that is cropping up?

On the subject of the algae, I've had a reef aquarium before (albeit 14 years ago :) ) and I don't think any of what I have is "hair" algae...there are about 3-4 different types of algae present...I think I'll transfer one species that looks like an elongated fern to my refugium.

I do have a handful of Chaeto in my refugium.

I've added two corals so far...bought a nice large piece covered in zooanthids (flourescent orange and green polyps look very cool under the actinic only lighting). Also bought a smaller piece of open brain coral today (actually my 11yr old son picked that one out.

Anyway, any general comments would be appreciated...there is one rock that I think I will flip over...but am wondering what other animals will help graze on this...do hermits and snails graze on algae?

Get a clean up crew. Some snails like turbos,astrea,and nassarius. After your tanks been stable for a month you can get some shrimp.

One week after cycle is normally not mature enough for corals...

About the algae, it is very common to have algae problems during the early stages of the tank. As piggy suggested, get a good set of cleaner crew. Snails will eat that stuff up fairly quickly.

You can also run phosphate remover and increase your water changes somewhat if you're algae is out of control. If you have cyano, try removing as much of it as you can, that will slow down its growth. Though i doubt you have cyano. You will have fun with that one soon...:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Cthegames right.Slow down on the corals and add some snails.It'll also help to cut back on the lights.

Mexican turbo snails are your best bet for algae on rocks. They eat A LOT, so for a 40 gallon tank like yours, I'd say two or three of them should be okay.

Back