Hi new here and have question on black cap basslet and inverts

claireputput

Reefing newb
I have a 90g reef tank-soon to be 120g (today actually) and I have several fish and invertebrates.
My question is will the blackcap basslet or my purple psuedochromis bother/harass/eat the shrimp?
I was told by a LFS that they will kill my shrimp but everything, so far, that I have read states they will eat small invertebrates like copepods.
Does anyone know if they will kill my shrimp?
I currently have one cleaner shrimp and 4 or 5 peppermint shrimp

They will hunt and eat your shrimp one by one until they are all gone. You can not keep those fish with shrimp.

Hi and welcome to Living Reefs

Thank you for your response. What fish would you add with reefs? I have a yellow tang, 2 clowns, 1 bengaii cardinal, 1 watchman goby, and will be returning 2 damsels and it looks like also returning the psuedochromis and basslet.
Help is appreciated! @Aquarian

That all depends on personal choice, but I like the stock you have, obviously you want to keep shrimp so that eliminates the pseudochromis and basslet. If it were my tank I'd look into antias, blennies, fire fish, maybe a few chromis

That all depends on personal choice, but I like the stock you have, obviously you want to keep shrimp so that eliminates the pseudochromis and basslet. If it were my tank I'd look into antias, blennies, fire fish, maybe a few chromis
I agree chromis are great reef fish to have.

I generally don't disagree with @Aquarian :Dbut on this one my opinion is different. I think they are very nice additions to the reef and I have never had an issue with them going after shrimp. They will eat the smaller amphipods and copepods. There is always the possibility of one going rogue but that can be said for any fish.

So, I think for now I will leave them all in the tank-I know clams can be difficult to keep so I will chalk that one up to a poor choice on my part (should have waited) but my tank almost cycled instantly and has not had any ammonia readings since the first week-I got in a hurry and I know better.
I really thought the lawnmower blennie was cute and I might look into that one. I planned on having all small fish except the tang!

Another one of those things that you'll only do once. Brought back a flavivertix and you wanna talk about a nasty little fish? I ended up trapping him with a piece of PVC pipe after he terrorized the tank for a week, lol.

Yeah, I tried a purple pseudo, he was fine at first but after a month he started bullying things one at a time. The day I was going to try and catch him he got sucked up by the Vortech. Is it bad that there was no feeling of guilt there?

Nope, that happened to me once too, lol.

Thanks guys for all the information.
I have started a second saltwater tank, FOWLR and moved the basslet, psuedochromis, blue devil and four stripe damsel to that tank.
I have been watching the tank this week and what I am seeing I don't like at all. The basslet seems to be getting bullied by all three of the other fish and hides most of the time. I am going to catch him and move him back to the reef tank but only if I understand that you all believe he will not eat or bother my inverts.

Most, I say that because I'm sure there are some little shit basslets out there, are decent fish. Swissguards, Black Caps and Royal Grammas are 3 of my favorite fish. Black caps and Royal Grammas do quite well in smaller aquariums where they have the run of the house or with a pair of clowns.

Back