Hippo Tang vs. Yellow Tang

U4BOYZ

Got Fish?
I have a baby hippo tang being held for me at my local pet store. It's the cutest thing ever...the size of a quarter. Problem is: I already have a large yellow tang...I hope they'll get along. Any thoughts?:twocents:

yeah as i posted under your last comment on the other thread, if the yellow has been in the tank for a long time he is dominate in the tank and will show alot of aggression towards the baby blue, and if he fins baby blue with his tail spike it will kill baby blue

sorry to be the downer but there is one possible solution do you have a qt tank if so take the yellow out put baby blue in leave the yellow out for about a week and rearrange your rock so the tank looks different then reintroduce the yellow back in the tank:D

I agree with the better half of LilJoker:D
At best,you've a 50/50 chance that the yellow wont put the smack down on the hippo.

There will be some aggression. But I do believe that different color and different body shapes will help here. If you have any fighting turn the lights off and move some rock around. It worked for me. I have three tangs in my 125 gallon reef.

mesolu unfortunately whe differnce in color and shape didnt make any differnce in my tank the yellow had made it his territory and so we had to take him out put him in the qt and move all the rock so it changed up the tank and that did the trick for my tank

It did make a difference in my tank. I put a very small hippo in with a sailfin and an orange shoulder and neither one bothered with the baby hippo. I think the size of the small one made no threat to the other two, even at feeding time. I'm not saying this will work for you, but it is possible it could work.

I think a larger problem than the yellow tang is the hippo tang's size. If it's the size of a quarter, it's chances of survival are extremely low. They are very sensitive and delicate fish and get sick very easily. The younger they are when they are caught, the worse off they are. And quarter sized tangs are about as small as you can get.

To my surprise...when I added the new little hippo tang...my large yellow tang left her alone. Unfortunately, my angelfish did not. So now the baby hippo is hiding in the rock and won't come out. I have my fingers crossed. UGH.:(

Good news...my two clownfish have taken the little hippo tang under their 'fin'. :) They stay very close to her...and whenever the anglefish comes around to bother her---they do circles around her until the anglefish goes away. It is too cute! >|<

Good news...my two clownfish have taken the little hippo tang under their 'fin'. :) They stay very close to her...and whenever the anglefish comes around to bother her---they do circles around her until the anglefish goes away. It is too cute! >|<

That's why they made the movie about both of them......lol

Back