How can we improve the site?

Ian

Reefing newb
Now that we've upgraded the site to some new forum software, we've got the opportunity to add some extra things to the forums :).

Is there anything that you'd like to see added to living reefs? What is it that would make new members want to join up and keep existing members happy? I'd be really interested to know your thoughts!

Ian,

Quick question, when I click on a new post it always takes me to the bottom of th page so I have to scroll back to the top in order to start ready. Is this something on my end? I'm thinking it is. Thanks the new site is awesome!

Ian,

Quick question, when I click on a new post it always takes me to the bottom of th page so I have to scroll back to the top in order to start ready. Is this something on my end? I'm thinking it is. Thanks the new site is awesome!

I'm not having this issue. It does take me to "first unread", though. Which I LOVE.

Maybe shorten the time between when we can post? I know it's a spam thing, but I type fast and uh... yeah. I'm impatient.

Love the new layout. Awesome. Not having the problem Rob is.
But are we ever getting a home page like before, if you know what I mean. Like with POTM posts. Otherwise, is POTM obsolete now? Other than that, awesome job Ian.

I feel like I should be honest...

I hate it. But, I don't like huge changes because I'm too dumb to figure this out.

Other than that, I appreciate y'all doing your best to keep it updated. I do like a lot of the changes, actually, such as the first unread. I think I can get used to it.

One more thing....

I noticed all the signature stuff is gone.
Now ... this isn't a massive complaint as SOME members :coughWADEcough: had some weird gifs. But the "tank size/whatever else was there" is a resource I'm missing right now.

Ian,

Yeah, as others have mentioned clicking a thread will take you to the last read post, so you can continue from where you left off :).

But are we ever getting a home page like before, if you know what I mean. Like with POTM posts. Otherwise, is POTM obsolete now? Other than that, awesome job Ian.

We'll probably not have the homepage the same as before, as I looked at the statistics of how often it was viewed and most people just skipped it altogether. Instead, we'll do something else with POTM - it will still be there, we're just working on how is best to add it. I suspect it will be on the sidebar, along with some other options. If anything, I want to try and make more of the POTM feature :).

Signatures should be back working now :). I have to admit, now that I've seen the forum without them I think it looks quite a bit cleaner - so perhaps we'll change it to not allow images in sigs. Would that be an unpopular move?

I do like this new reply, but I noticed were missing quotes. Or I need help.

The only thing with removing pics from sigs would be that some people have that tank parametre thing that they couldn't have anymore. I mean, it doesn't bother me, but I'm sure it would others.

I do like this new reply, but I noticed were missing quotes. Or I need help.

The only thing with removing pics from sigs would be that some people have that tank parametre thing that they couldn't have anymore. I mean, it doesn't bother me, but I'm sure it would others.

We may be able to find away to still allow something like tank parameters, as that looks pretty neat.

To get quotes, just click the little reply button on the post you want to quote, and it will show the quote and tags in the editor at the bottom :).

I think removing signatures would be very unpopular! But maybe limit the photo size that could go in the sig? But don't limit text size - I know a lot of sites do and it drives me crazy to not be able to include my stock list!

I like that the species database articles have been moved to their own forum, but I kind of wish we would reply to those threads (such as including pics of species that might not have pics yet) or start our own thread on a species that hasn't been included yet (with the thread being reviewed by Hannah since she did most of the articles or another mod before publishing so that there isn't a ton of junk in there).

I liked the homepage. I'm not sure how your stats register visits but I know I bookmarked the forums on my computer so almost always go directly to the forums. But that doesn't mean I didn't occasionally visit the home page. I don't really like the photo of the month as a side bar because its so tiny.

Thanks for the feedback FishyFeef. The database is planned for a big overhaul in the next month or two - and I think you'll like the changes that are to come. It's going to move to a specially design section where it's possible to comment, suggest new data and post pictures. I'm just awaiting an update to the software that we're going to be using for this and then we'll be able to go ahead. I think this update will be very well received and was going to keep it as a surprise, but now that you've mentioned it I may as well announce it ;).

I'm working on the POTM part of the site at this very moment and trying to figure out how is best to do it. Ideally, I'll try and get it semi automated so it reduces the workload of the moderators - as they put in a good deal of time to get it running smoothly. Give me a week or two and then we'll see how it works - I think it's a good compromise having it on the sidebar (and on a unique page), but I can change things around if needed.

I think that if the vendor tab when opened, alphabetically listed all current vendors that would be cool. That way we could go to a specific vendor and see just their posts. Also it allows them to post in THEIR own thread rather than a community one.

I think that if the vendor tab when opened, alphabetically listed all current vendors that would be cool. That way we could go to a specific vendor and see just their posts. Also it allows them to post in THEIR own thread rather than a community one.
I agree, that is very good idea.

Back