How is my Dragon's Eye looking?

cvcdrk

Reefing newb
Ok so I've never kept a coral before and Petco had a clearance sale thing and I picked this up a week and a half ago for $5. It was labeled as a Dragon's Eye Polyp.

It was all closed up. All of them in the tank were. He said they'd got them that day. I figured why not...and got one.
I figured it would likely die there and I would be better apt to do it. My water parameters are good (0;0;<5).

This is how it looked day the day I got it:
zoa1.jpg

This is how it looked 3 days after that (5 days ago):
zoa_opening-1.jpg

This is how it looked about 3 days ago:
polyp.jpg

And this is how it looks right this second:
zoa2.jpg

So how does it look? As I said I have not done this before. Does it appear to be looking good. It seems to glow more intensely every night under the BLUE LEDs, but it doesn't seem to be doing much in the last three pics.

I have moved it a few times carefully at night. I finally found exactly where I want it (for now).

I would say that it's not completely opened yet, but it's getting there. Whenever corals are moved or disturbed, it can take several days (or even longer) for them to open up. Even longer if you keep moving it. ;)

Now that it's in a good spot, leave it be and it should open up even more. It looks good and healthy. Do you have strong enough lights for corals?

I have mid-range LEDs. Marineland Reef Capable.

It's probably not enough to keep LPS or SPS corals, but from what I know it should be enough light to keep polyps and mushrooms and some zoas....which is all I'll probably do unless I upgrade the lighting later this year.

Is there anything I can or should be adding to the water to improve its growth rate and overall health? Or just leave it be?

Nope, nothing needs to be added to the water. Just keep your parameters in check and it should be fine. Also, it doesn't require any feeding.

On a 29g you should be able to keep pretty much any coral under the reef capable unit! I would just leave it alone for now and let if fully acclimate. Once you start to get lps/sps in the tank you can add food like oyster feast or cyclopeeze a few times a week for your corals to feed on, but with what you have in there now I don't think its necessary and I think it will make your water pretty mucky quickly.

+1 fishy, I had the marineland reef capable LEDs on my 29g tank for over a year and kept softies,Lps,sps and even anemones! Of course you will need to Place the sps higher and in more direct light but they can still be kept!

It looks good. Some of mine took several days to open up. Keep it in one place for awhile and it will open up. I have never seen coral at our Petco.

Back