I caught him!!!!!

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
I finally caught the alien in my tank. Now, what the heck is this thing and is it evil? What can I do with him?

alien-in-my-tank.jpg

catherine

That is a very cool looking crab. Is the claws straight or are curved because i do believe that straight claws mean predator and curved mean non predator, but dont quote me i forget alot of stuff.......lol

I'm a new member of the "Crabs Are Evil Society"

When the last of my hermits die in the 30g tank, I'll be tickled pink.

If I can ever catch that murderous emerald crab in my 10g frag tank, I'll send him back to the LFS. I know, he's supposed to be a herbivore..... algae and all that....... but he attacks snails and bristle worms.

IMO, consider yourself lucky you caught the little bugger. Get rid of him. If the LFS won't take him, send him down the garbage disposal.

Well, darn, I don't believe in the death penalty. Am I going to have to set up a tank just for this crab? I could get a 2 gallon. What could I put in there that he wouldn't eventually tear up? I'm assuming he's some sort of a sally lightfoot crab. That's the closest pic I can find.

Being tender-hearted can make life difficult.

Catherine

If it says they eat algae will they eat animals? This alien loves dead stuff. He's eating a bit of silverfish right now. Also, mine's got striped legs, not hairy ones.

Catherine

I just talked to my LFS guy on the phone. He's the greatest! I know people like to bust on LFS guys and all but there really are some out there that are nice, knowledgeable, and willing to go out of their way to help out the customer. Anyway, I talked to him and he guaranteed my alien a home in his "more aggressive" tank. How cool is that? It's like having your own "no kill" animal shelter in your own town! Thanks for the help!

Catherine

Boy, you peeps have sure had some bad luck with crabs! Why so against the little fellows? The only bad experience I had with crabs was in my early 20's... oh that's a different story.

Catherine-
Just wondering where the TV finally went?

They are nothing but trouble. They are constantly knocking over new frags, crawling in/on my corals, tearing into corals to steal their food, and killing snails for their shells. I am not replacing any of them when they die. I have one (Desmond) that is really cool and doesn't cause trouble but the rest I could do without. You can have an effecient CUC with just snails, stars, worms, and shrimp, none of which bother my corals.

RC, I want into your gang!

I'm sory but I would have to say I'm in a different group. I love all my crabs (not genital) Between my scarlts and my fiddler, O how I love to watch them truck around and how would you feel it you had to take your entire house everywhere you went? I'm sure you would take the shortcut across the zoas too.

So if anyone wants to ship theit crabs this way (once again no genital) I'd be happy to tak them.

I'v dcided to go ahead and start an underground hermit fighting ring seeing as there appears to be no grab police here.

Thanks
Josh-

Now I like my sally lightfoot and my emeralds.The only thing either of them have ever bothered,is algae.Its the hermits I dont like.They would always climb into my SPS and keep them closed up.

I must politely disagree. My emeralds are just as bad if not worse than the hermits. They start out fine but as they get big they Start tearing into my corals to get the food in their stomachs. I had a close call with my acans, and my trumpet corals. I fed one to the puffer at my LFS and the other is now in my sump. I did add a new smaller one though because they are great till they turn evil!

Back