I need HELP!!!!!!!

salt_for_brains

Alabama Reefer
Got your attention didn't I:D

Seriously though, I have always been fascinated with clown hosting anemones and have successfully kept many over the years. I am in the thought process of turning my 90g into a species tank. My plan is to keep S. gigantea and H. magnifica with a clutch of clowns. I will be getting rid of all my current fish as well as coral.
My concerns would be allelopathy between the anemones and aggression between the clowns. I have seen numerous tanks with those two species of anemones but there is always a risk when mixing species. I will have a few anemones in order to curtail some aggression between the clowns. The clowns will be from the same clutch which will also potentially help this plan work. I am going for a naturalistic habitat. What do you think? I am looking for your pro's and con's to help me to decide yea or nay. So be brutally honest;)

It's my understanding that the clowns will tolerate each other for a little while... I think you'll eventually be narrowed down to pairs that are hosted and you'll have to rehome the rest. How many clowns were you thinking about doing?

It's my understanding that the clowns will tolerate each other for a little while... I think you'll eventually be narrowed down to pairs that are hosted and you'll have to rehome the rest. How many clowns were you thinking about doing?
Yeah that is one of the risks. From the research I have been doing getting clowns from the same clutch is crucial but there can still be aggression as they age. BUT having numerous host anemones does help with this. I was thinking 11 or 15 clowns (just can't do 13). There are a couple threads on another site I have been watching.

I'd personally go with all ritteri anemones. Carpets are notoriously aggressive and I read somewhere where they can wage chemical warfare against other anemones. If you're interested in ritteris, lemme know, I have an AWESOME supplier in Africa for them and I need to replace Morticia and Gomez since I sold off everything else that came with them. I am thinking about doing the same thing with nigripes clowns since I still have shit luck with Orange skunks.

As Erin said, things will go smooth up until they start pairing off. Once they've paired off they will become incredibly territorial. Also, I agree with the Riteri comment. Just be prepared to rehome them if aggression gets out of hand! What species of clown are you going to attempt? Ocellaris? Percula? Clarkii? Maroon? Tomato? Cinnamon? Blackfoot? Saddleback? Details man! Details :D

As Erin said, things will go smooth up until they start pairing off. Once they've paired off they will become incredibly territorial. Also, I agree with the Riteri comment. Just be prepared to rehome them if aggression gets out of hand! What species of clown are you going to attempt? Ocellaris? Percula? Clarkii? Maroon? Tomato? Cinnamon? Blackfoot? Saddleback? Details man! Details :D
I haven't made up my mind yet on the species of clown. It will depend if I go with one or two species of anemone. More details when I start unloading the current stock;)

From my understanding, which has been read and not from experience, the clutch will choose the dominant male and the rest stay "sexless" until the female dies or the dominant male dies. It seems pretty staight forward except the different nems in the mix. You totally got this.

Maroons are bastards. I love them to pieces, but they have 10 gallons of attitude in a 5 gallon bucket. I was REALLY hoping to breed the Orange skunks, but that was not to be this go around.

Apparently I have been moving really slow:D
I have unloaded all but a couple pieces of coral. Man my tank is bare. I have a couple of fish to let go and then some aquascaping to do to get ready for a couple S.gigantea anemones and a Ritteri. Let the fun begin:)

Back