Instructions for dipping

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
So I picked up a green star polyp colony today (starburst green). Its from the same place I get all of my corals. I have never dipped one before because I didn't know that I should! Anyway, I picked up some coral dip while I was there. I read the instructions but still have a few questions.

I acclimate mine in the bag. Since this bag has water in it, can I use that water for the dip? Just add the solution to the bag?

Once dipped, should it be dipped in another container with "clean" water before placing it in the DT?

Anything else I should know?

Last edited:
I acclimate first and then use my tank water to make the dip with. After the 5-10 min dip, rinse in clean tank water before putting it in the display. :)
Oh, and keep the temp stable.

I acclimated, filled 1/2 gallon container with water, added dip solution, dipped then rinsed in the acclimation water. Its now in the tank. Well, has been for about an hour and a half. One or two polyps are open. Nothing else. I know that sometimes it takes a while for them to get happy again. My lighting is a bit less than the store's lighting too. Sure wish I could find a prebuilt unit that would fit!

I actually don't bother to acclimate (based on advice I've read here from LF), and instead add the coral + water in the bag it came in to a small bucket, then add the dip (I use coral rx) to that and leave it for about 20m, stirring the water every few minutes. Then I shake off the coral really well in the bucket, and then either shake it again really well in another small container of tank water or use a turkey baster to blast it with clean tank water to get the dip off. Then inspect for any remaining pests and tweeze them off if I find any, then put them on the bottom of the tank to light acclimate! Good luck!

I dip in the water the coral comes in for about 20 minutes. I shake it in the dip and place tbe coral in the tank on the sand bed.

Back