75gal tank
120-130 lbs LR (mixed tonga and fiji)
3" sandbed (not crushed coral)
1 Koralia pump #4
2 maxi-jet powerheads (1200) {to be replaced by another Koralia #4}
Coralife Aqualight 692watts [2x250w MH + 2x96w PC]
CPR BakPak2 skimmer (so-so product)
Marineland 360 cannister filter

((new eqpt is at the house but not installed yet that will replace cannister and skimmer.....I will post this info later along with PICS))

useless_without_pics.gif

hehe :)

2 Korilia 4 seem a little much in a 75, but ok depending on how you position them, everything sounds good. lets see some pics when you can. congrats on the progress.

2 Korilia 4 seem a little much in a 75, but ok depending on how you position them, everything sounds good. lets see some pics when you can. congrats on the progress.

Really? Should I get a #3 for the other side? My LFS said two #4's would be fine. The #4 I have in there now I have pointed to the surface and it creates a very nice surface disturbance and even a nice current throughout the tank. I want to point the next Korilia to the surface on the other side of the tank because I dont want a film to be just sitting on the water surface that gets pushed over from my current #4 (does this make sense?).

Sorry about the pics.....like a dumbass I forgot to bring my cameras memory card to work today. I'll get them up tonight or tomorrow morning. I do have pics on a different thread that shows the tank and the lights (I dont remember which thread I posted them in)

Also upon opening the boxes with my sump, skimmer, overflow and light it turns out they forgot to pack the Mag7 return pump. I called them and the guy looked in his warehouse packing area and said it was still sitting on their packing table and that his guys missed it when putting it in the package. They shipped it out last night and it's already in transit.

Last edited:
sump

skimmer (the only one I could find with the proper footprint)

pump

overflow (with aqua lifter)

These are obviously not my pics, but this will do to hold you folks over until I post my own. The only problem that sucks is the skimmer.....I might have to continue to use my BakPak in conjunction with this cheap in sump skimmer until I can find one that is good and actually fits in my skimmer chamber of the sump. The skimmer compartment is 6"x11.5" so if anyone has a recommendation as to what skimmer would work in that footprint please please let me know.

i have 2 k4s 2 k3s 3 mj1200 and 1 mj900 in my 75

Wow thats a lot of flow daugherty. I think I will get the second K4. Do you have yours connected to a wavemaker or something? Would I need to get some more pumps in mine other than 2 K4's? I thought about getting a couple of the nano ones to put behind the rock positioned in opposite directions to change up the flow just a little. How does that sound?

it all preferance i am going to take all the mj's out on my next maintance butif you dont get them just right it will blow the sand all over the place.
and they are on all the time no controller

Last edited:
my sump will have a Mag7 return rated at 800 gph and the overflow is rated about the same. The return portion back into the tank will add to the current in the tank also right?

my sump will have a Mag7 return rated at 800 gph and the overflow is rated about the same. The return portion back into the tank will add to the current in the tank also right?

you will lose some of the rating depending how far it has to travel up from your fuge. but yeah it will add current back to the tank.:D

I figured because of that reason I would add flow rate valves to the overflow pipe and the return pipe in case I need fine tune the flow to match on both sides. Is this what should be done?

you can add ball valves to control the flow rate.you will need to run a run off line from the ball valve area or you pump would empty your fuge. it would be good to get the water to run slower through the fuge area with your macro algea and sand bed. different water flows in different areas of the tank will be good. but as far as your return and overflow box whatever you control it at. thats how much water will be coming and going out of your fuge. lol im having a hard time explaining what im thinking. so hope ya get this.

Last edited:
you can add ball valves to control the flow rate.you will need to run a run off line from the ball valve area or you pump would empty your fuge. it would be good to get the water to run slower through the fuge area with your macro algea and sand bed. different water flows in different areas of the tank will be good. but as far as your return and overflow box whatever you control it at. thats how much water will be coming and going out of your fuge. lol im having a hard time explaining what im thinking. so hope ya get this.

hahah....I understand what you mean about slower water flow in the fuge area...is that so all of the pods dont get sucked back into the tank at once or because the pump will be sucking water to the return faster than the overflow can fill the fuge? If that is the case then wouldnt that mean all that I have to do is make sure to tweak the flow rates to be even on the overflow and the return?:frustrat::frustrat::frustrat:

So I should use the ball valves to slow down the flow rate a bit? I dont understand what you mean by having a run off line from the ball valve area. Does this mean after the ball valve from the overflow put a Y fitting and have one going to my skimmer section (which will be my first section in sump) and the other going to my fuge (second section in sump)? That is how I am comprehending what you are saying.

Back