Is a skimmer a skimmer is a skimmer?

jeepjunky

Reefing newb
Its been recommended that by this forum that I get a skimmer. So off to ebay I went...what do I look for what do I stay away from, so many skimmers so little brain:frustrat:. I need a asprin! and some help.
Thanks

be wary of cheap skimmer, they are, well, cheap. I would find something that looks good to you and then check back here. But the reef octopus skimmer are awesome!

For a 55 gallon I recommend a reef octopus nwb-150 if you have a sump. If not then I would go with a Hang on the back reef octopus protien skimmer. Get double or triple your tank volume.

I have about a total volume of what my Reef Octopus 250 is rated for and it works great. Yes many recommend getting one for double the tank size but it is not 100% that you have to.

I talked to Coralvue about this and they said I am just fine as is.

It only fills up an inch in the cup in a week and it is like 6 inches till it is full. I have it turned up as well. I run it more dry but the bubbles are set right to the neck where it says to have it running.

I have about 15 fish in a 220 gal and 17 corals so maybe I just do not have a large bio-load but that is good to me because I really do not think I will be getting too many more fish or any, anytime soon. My Nitrates are about 5-10PPM which is just fine as well. Yes I would like 0PPM but no blooms here. I never had a bloom at 20PPM either but some do and some don't.

I am not getting a skimmer rated for 500+ gallons.

Last edited:
Back