Is this little guy Asterina

purpledragonfly1970

Reefing newb
I found him tonight and this is the best pics i can get . he is black on his back and white underneath, he has 5 evenly grown legs and he is the only one I have seen in my tank, no other white spots, but i am going to keep a close eye. just need to know should I toss him back in or flush him or what?

Attachments

• DSCF2589.jpg
    DSCF2589.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 627
  • DSCF2590.jpg
    DSCF2590.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 483
Asterina Starfish. Those little suckers will reproduce like crazy in most peoples tanks. I personally look at them as pests and remove them if I spot any. They'll feed on coraline and some say softies when food levels run low.

I have had asterinas for years, and always used to only find them on the glass. But then I started seeing them on corals too -- corals that would soon be dead!! I think Evan is right, that they do feed on algae, but when you get a lot of them, and not a lot of algae, they'll eat your corals as well.

I've recently been seeing a lot more of them in my tank and fuge. .They're really spreading like crazy in the fuge. So far they have not been bothering my corals, but I have definitely seen them eating coralline.

I have them in my tank. I founf one on a coral once. Picked it off carefully and dropped it in my frogspawn to see how he liked other corals.

Back