Kalk drip problems

chichimom79

reef junkie
I can't get my kalk drip to remain constant or even stay running. I have researched and the only answer I can come up with is that the line is getting clogged. I have rinsed the line, taken the drip regulator valve apart, rinsed everything well, and still I have issues. My drip regulator is toward the top of the line near the bottle itself. Is this my problem? Does the drip regulator need to be toward the bottom of the line? Im not sure as to why that would matter, but that's why I am asking. I can not figure it out.:frustrat:

Hahaha, sorry, couldn't help it. I don't use kalk, and ever since Sarah had that kalk over dose on her tank wih a drip system, it has really had me backing away from it.

Im sorry for my ignorance but should we all be doing Kalk Dosing ??? What does it do exacly ??? Is it only if you have alot of corals ???. I have my 125 and i started doing water changes every 2 weeks now instead of every week like i use to, but i dont really have that many corals yet and i read all my essential elements and all that good stuff will replenish them selves with the water changes.

Im sorry for my ignorance but should we all be doing Kalk Dosing ??? What does it do exacly ??? Is it only if you have alot of corals ???. I have my 125 and i started doing water changes every 2 weeks now instead of every week like i use to, but i dont really have that many corals yet and i read all my essential elements and all that good stuff will replenish them selves with the water changes.

Dosing kalk is not necessary for a lot of people. I was having problems with borderline low calcium and pH so I figured it would be perfect. Just can't get it dripping like I want it.

Hahaha, sorry, couldn't help it. I don't use kalk, and ever since Sarah had that kalk over dose on her tank wih a drip system, it has really had me backing away from it.

Didn't she have a knot tied in the tubing though? I am using a drip regulator, so Im not worried about over doing it. Saw that thread though. How scary.

According to my API test kit my Calcium Is high. 500 ish. But i know for a fact it reads about 40 ppm over. so i think im at about 460 ish. atleast when the LFS tested with the Salifer test kit. thats what i was at. My Ph usually stays around 7.9 Early morning to 8.1 after the lights have ben on for a couple hours.

Didn't she have a knot tied in the tubing though? I am using a drip regulator, so Im not worried about over doing it. Saw that thread though. How scary.

Yes, I used a knot in the tubing. Bad idea! It nuked nearly everything in my 90 gallon and 10 gallon tanks (they were hooked up to the same dosing system). That's what you get for being cheap and lazy!

Yeah, I read that thread too Sarah and have been very shy about dosing anything in my tank since then. Good luck figuring this out Angie! Would a parastaltic pump or reactor help instead of a drip line?

I probably should just get a pump, set up an ATO and do it that way, but... I was trying to be cheap and lazy... LOL
I have read through so many threads about this kind of drip system, I thought it would work great. Back to the drawing board...

Honestly in the long run your best option is a dosing pump. It will end up being cheaper as well, and the peace of mind is worth it (you could overdose... Not good). Good dosing systems are not rediculous, and if you have a tank controller you can just use the BRS 1.1ml dosing pumps. It's the way to go IMHO

Back