LED Lighting Dilemma

x19

Reefing newb
Hey All,

I haven't been around much recently, just been busy. A lott has happened with the tank, which is currently in the midst of an epic battle against bubble algae (valonia)... I had always planned a phase two for my just over a year old tank which included adding a sump, a better skimmer and LED lights.

I accomplished the sump—twice, the first custom baffled one cracked but fortunately I caught it before a catastrophe—a 20 gallon long in a homemade stand.

I accomplished the skimmer upgrade—a Vertex IN-80.

I've also added a TLF phosban reactor and just ordered a second to put NPX biopellets in (algae war).

What I haven't accomplished yet is the LED lights. The backstory is that in January when I had the money to buy the lights I contact Aqua Illumination to find out if I could get away with 1 12" module over my 36" tank—its not very deep so really spread was the issue. They recommended that I instead wait for their Nano units, and use two of them to more evenly spread the light without having to position so high.

Well, its now July and although I am the #1 preorder for the AquaIllumination Sol Blue Nano at Premium Aquatics there is no signs that these will ship anytime soon.

As I've been waiting to drop a grand+ on lights, I've not replaced the Power Compact bulbs since October and I think that may be affecting my algae issues.. and now that we've passed the "late June" ship date for the AI nanos, I've decided I can't wait any longer.

This brings me to the matter at hand, I am debating between two different light fixtures both of which are way overpowered for my little tank:

Option 1 - 2x 12" Aqua Illumination Sol Blue units
Option 2 - 1 Vertex Illumina 200 24"

Both I can get without much trouble in the next few weeks, though both are about 2x the money of the nano's I had planned on. The Vertex is about $160 more than the AIs when you account for shipping from Canada into the states, but offers a computer based wireless controller that allows for truly amazing control: storms, cloud patterns, lunar cycles, independent controls of the Blue, Royal Blue, and White LEDS, etc. Its also better looking than the AI units.

I am open to other LED solutions, but want to be sure its a high end investment that I can potentially transfer to my next larger tank eventually. A good level of controllability and scheduling is critical as well (especially since I'll be dialing these down to around 30% I'm guessing)

Back