Leopard Wrasse

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
So I decided that my husband can pick the fish in my 30 gallon bow-front tank. I told him it needs to be a marine fish that is reef safe. It can be aggressive if he wants because it's the only fish in there. He's looking at the Leopard Wrasse but it says "Expert Only" on the liveaquaria site, why is it difficult? https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1378+339&pcatid=339

He wants a "fish with a face" whatever that means. He really likes the puffer fishes but they aren't reef safe. Any suggestions? Right now the tank has a bunch of live rock, a couple cleaner shrimp, some snails and hermits, a few 'shrooms and some macro. I love the idea of sexy shrimp so I'm planning on getting a few of those.

thanks,
Catherine

I have a Leopard Wrasse, and I'm FAR from an expert! :) I guess they can be difficult to feed at first...mine wasn't. I just soaked his food in garlic and he went right for it. He is a big jumper! Going to need a cover or crate or something...

Yeah,IDK,from what i understand they are hard to acclimate and feed at first....Plus a 30 gallon may be abit tight for him.I have always liked the mystery wrasse,they are perfect for smaller set-ups,and they have a great face..lol

That's a gorgeous wrasse. I have yet to see one in any local stores. I'm so jealous that you're are able to buy online in the US, much better selection and prices.

I don't consider them expert only, you just have to pay attention to it, that's all...I would suggest a small foxface, I'm sure your husband would love one of those, but a 30 might be too small.

The main reason for the " Expert" rating on the Leopard Wrasse,is because they can be hard to get to eat.But once they've taken to frozen foods,their no harder to keep than any other wrasse.

Good luck with the sexy shrimp! How many are you going to get? I've only went down the sexy shrimp road once and they all died. I'm reluctant to go back to them, but maybe once I upgrade tanks I'll try again. Can't wait to see some pics of them.

I know nothing about Leopard wrasses and the person who probably knows the most isn't with us.

Small mysis and cyclopeeze squirted through a turkey baster will be your friend Catherine.For the sexy shrimps that is,to me a very easy shrimp.I even shut the pumps off and watch them scurry around,shaking their butts even more so.

They have buy 10 get 5 free or buy 2 get 1 free at Reef2go.com.

I know nothing about Leopard wrasses and the person who probably knows the most isn't with us.

Small mysis and cyclopeeze squirted through a turkey baster will be your friend Catherine.For the sexy shrimps that is,to me a very easy shrimp.I even shut the pumps off and watch them scurry around,shaking their butts even more so.

They have buy 10 get 5 free or buy 2 get 1 free at Reef2go.com.

Tadahhh!

You just try to keep me away from threads about my favorite fish ever.

Leopard wrasses are easy if you get one that is eating frozen foods. If you get a leopard wrasse that only eats live food, you are in the same boat as many mandarin owners are, except with a fish that is 3 times as large and needs 3 times as much food.

They are very passive, docile fish and will get along with other wrasses.

Back