lighting suggestions?

I used a duel power compact strip on my 20 gallon. I would think a 30" double PC would work for most soft corals on your tank.

Or you could go with T5s. Metal halides are the best lighting out there, and you can keep anything under them, but they are very expensive compared to PCs and T5s. If you are not planning on keeping SPS or clams, then I'd recommend going with PCs or T5s; shrooms, zoas and softies will be fine under them.

bobby said:
How long ahs the tank been set up? What are your perameters?
its been set up for about 2yrs paramenters are good with the exception of salinity which is a little over

Last edited:
I agree with above. If your only wanting to keep softys then you wont need m/h you can get a simple pc unit for them and there not that expensive. I have 2x96 watt on a 30 gal and they do fine for my needs, currently I only have 4 shrooms and a moon brain, and they do fine under the light. If you plan on keeping more light needy corals or anemones I would go for t5's or mh now that way you dont have to upgrade later.

I kept an anemone under my pc's but your tank is deeper so not realy sure. The anemone will move around to a spot it likes though if that makes a difference in your decision.

Ya a bta will live with 192 pcs but from what I read they wont flourish as good as if they had mh or t5's.

It depends on how many watts your putting on the tank. I dont know what your asking on how there watts are. I might be wrong here but the way I understand it is mh and t5 give better light and more powerfull of a light to penatrate deeper n the water. Agian I may be wrong but if I am I know someone else will chime in and fix it.

I would think you need more watts. Thats only 4.48 watts per gal, and I do believe the min recomended watt per gal is 6.

I have raised anemones in a 55 gal with a 250 watt pc youll be fine its not the watts its the depth penetration of the rated kelvin yes it can be done and it is enough for the softies you wish to raise as well right now I have a 24" pc on a 30 gal it took some moving around but all of my corals are doing great I have softies, and sps hope this helps.

For what it's worth, my Current Dual Satellite lights work well, but I do kind of wish I would have gotten metal halides. Like mentioned earlier they really are the best from what I have seen.

Back