lighting suggestions

hskrborn71

Reefing newb
hello everyone i have a friend that is helping me transfer my fresh tank to salt. My question is: I have a 70 gallon talk with a stand that you slide the tank in from the back. i only have about 6" of clearence from tank to top of the lid. What type of lighting can i get to be able to have mushrooms and soft corals and still fit under this space?

I would go with Mh Lighting. You can do anytype of coral and such under it. That should be enough clearance as my Mh lights sit about 5 or 6" from the top of the tank.

MH like Nemo said, or a nice set of T5HO would do the trick and probably for a cheaper price, also wouldnt have as much heat from the enclosed space. Just another option and opinion.

+1 cathic. Only reason i said Mh is you can grow anything under them without having to have a 6 or 8 bulb T5 setup. You could also get a clip on fan from walmart or something to blow the heat off the lights.. check out this guy. Topdogsellers thats his ebay store name. Picked up my 48" Mh 250w lights with 8 LEDs for $300

I don't quite understand the clearance of 6'' from tank to top of the lid.I do like to say most people do not have a lid on their tanks.

What are the dimensions of the tank. Length by Width by Height?Your best best cost and heat will be a 4bulb T5-HO fixture for LPS/soft corals and six bulbs/individual reflectors to be unlimited.

Sounds like you've got a canopy over your tank.
If thats the case,you'll have to retrofit the lights.So a T-5 retro kit would work great.And since your gonna have to go that route,might as well get enough bulbs in there to go unlimited.So go with either 6 or 8 bulbs.

here is a picture of my tank and stand maybe this will make it better to understand.

Attachments

• fish tank 001.jpg
    fish tank 001.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 268
Rwynn,that does look pretty deep.I would recommend going definitely 6 bulb/individual reflectors or MH(2 x 175w or 2 x 250w).It doesn't look like a true enclosed canopy(too small,short).It also looks like a fixture would sit on the end of the wood part of the canopy with tank legs.

Back