Lighting Suggestions

tzevchik

Reefing newb
Hi All,

I am ready to upgrade the lighting on my 100 gal 2 ft deep reef tank. I currently have 6 x 26 t5's 48" and 2 vho's 48" (total watts=376) I was considering the current nova extreme 6 x 54 watts (total watts=324). I want to get rid of the vho's due to inefficiency and bulb cost, but it doesn't make sense to spend money for less watts. I ultimately want to be able to raise sps, clams, and higher light demanding corals. Any suggestions?

Less watts does not necessarily mean less light. T5's are much more efficient than VHO's. I replaced 1000 Watts of Metal Halides and T5's with 225 Watts of LED's that I cant run any higher than 65%

The Nova Extreme is a nice fixture

Has anyone purchased a Current Nova Extreme Pro 6x54w lighting fixture lately? If so, are you happy with it's performance and how loud are the fans? Also, if you have some pics I'd love to see them. Thanks.

I looked at a used one when setting my system up, but the guy wanted $25 less than a new one and it was dirty, and had old bulbs. That being said, with the current nova extreme, you'll be able to keep pretty much anything that you want without issues

The other nice thing is that with all the bulb choices out there, you can really get your fixture dialed in to provide the look that you want for your tank. I love my LED's and do not regret the purchase, but I was playing around with T5 fixtures at my LFS, and I really like the effect of a Purple plus bulb - and while I can control the White / Blue / Royal Blue on my unit, I can't reporduce the effect of the purple plus bubls

Some folks seem concerned about the ballasts. Especially when you put some "real" bulbs in the fixture. Anyone have experience/imput?

Back