Lionfish

Marklyall87

Reefing newb
Hi, I really want to get a lionfish but I know nothing about them.I've heard they are poisiones but how bad are they? Can they kill you? I have a community reef with tangs, clownfish...etc, will they mix ok? Any info would be great. Thanks. Mark.

Lionfish are not reef safe. I have never seen one even attempted in a reef tank. I guess anything is possible but you will probably start to lose any fish, snail, crab, or shrimp it can eat.

A lionfish sting hurts and hurts bad,IF they release the venom.But probably wont be life threatening unless your allergic to stings.

If you have a "bigger than a lion fishes mouth" reef tank. Possibly a dwarf even. Would be a fantastic addition to a reef. Just knowing he'll prolly anything he decides will fit in his belly. They aren't aggressive unless your on the dinner menu.

My dwarf hasn't eaten any of my crabs or snails that are easily meal sized. shrimp etc i could easily see ending up as dinner.

I have a Dwarf Lionfish and have not noticed anything that's gone missing. The shrimp are just a little too big to fit in his mouth. I do keep him well fed. Twice a day.

Back