Live rock to dry rock ratio?

Angelajean

I know that I don't know
Hello,
I am trying to figure out what to expect in the new 40g tank. We have 40 pound of dry rock with 20 pounds of live rock. I also have sand that I was able to seed thanks to a friend.

Should I expect a regular cycle or a mini cycle?

This is where I am kind of confused. I have pumps that I was able to borrow from a friend while I wait for mine to come. He had his backup pumps.

Ammonia 0.25
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0

If I get an ammonia spike, how do I know if it is a mini or a regular cycle?

Thanks,
Angie

You will know when the cycle is done. When both ammonia and nitrites are at 0. The term mini cycle is usually in reference to a short cycle in an established tank that has been disturbed. The only way to be sure is to wait.

Okay well then how is that some people upgrade their tank and move it all over and everything is fine?

I am confused about this.

You don't always see an ammonia spike (full cycle or mini cycle). As long as the rocks are kept wet when you move, then it's rare to have a mini cycle. A mini cycle occurs when stuff dies off the live rock. By keeping it wet, you prevent anything from dying off.

Well I have done the keeping it wet thing and such. We will wait and see. I suspect there is a window of time that I should expect an ammonia spike if we are going to see one.?

Okay well then how is that some people upgrade their tank and move it all over and everything is fine?

I am confused about this.

Because no two tanks are the same. When people do that, they are taking a risk. They are hoping that if there is a cycle, that it will be small and won't hurt anything.

If ammonia spikes, nitrites will also spike. But it might happen so fast that you miss it when you test. You should also see nitrates go up.

Your dry/live rock ratio is fine. 20lbs of live will seed the dry rock that you have and in the future you'd have plenty live rock in your tank to seed the rest. :)

ok i think i will be piggy backing on this with similar questions.
i have recently had a new 40gal that i have been running separately from my biocube. i moved all my rock except the pieces with some coral and my fish. i saw that my ammonia was a .25 yesterday and today it says its at 0...my nitrites are at .25 now and yesterday they were higher does this mean that if there ws a cycle, that it is almost done? would it be safe to move my coral and 2 fish as soon as i got 0 ammonia and nitrites?

Since my son wants to be a marine biologist, I have been having him test the water everyday and keep his log book with observations.
Ammonia .5
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
These are the results of the last 2 days. Should I expect more of an ammonia spike? We had all of our results from previous tank in an app and the iPad crashed otherwise I could try to refer to that. 40 pounds dry rock, 20+ pounds live rock from previous tank. 40 pounds live sand in 40 gallon breeder.
Thanks,
Angie

That might be all you see or there could be a bigger one. Every cycle is different.

Best way to stress test the system is to drop a table shrimp in there whole and test the water every day. If it's visibly breaking down and you're not seeing a sharp ammonia spike you're probably ready.

I moved from my 80 to a 220. If you find my thread it has it all on there including the new cycle. I was able to add all the fish plus more as soon as the cycle was done with no issues.

Check it out if you want to see.

One time in my 80 the sand was so stirred it took hours to see yet I never had any spikes in anything and I was worried. It could have been that the sand was only a year old and not deep with stuff.

Back