Long Tentacle Anemone question

ironnie7i

Reefing newb
Ok, so I just bought a long tentacle anemone and when I put it into my tank it went straight under my live rocks and hid from visibility. Will the anemone eventually come out and pick a location or will it stay down there?

First off, do you have enough lighting to keep an anemone? They require a lot of light -- more than most corals. Next, they don't usually survive in tanks that have been set up for less than a year. They are just really tough animals to keep alive and they require pristine water conditions. When they get sick or die, you also risk them poisoning and crashing your whole tank. Almost all anemones will also catch and eat fish, even their own clowns sometimes.

That said, the anemone may or may not come out. If your water quality isn't good enough or if the tank isn't stable enough, it may stay shut in the rocks. If it is just adjusting to its new environment, it will come out eventually and should pick a spot. But if your water quality or lighting isn't right, it will keep moving forever. A moving anemone is an unhappy anemone.

Good luck with it, and post pics!

Back