low ph and high nitrate???

Nateman3025

Reefing newb
Hey everyone!!! Got a little issue did my tests a couple times this week PH is 7.8 and NITRATE is 20 ppm my tank is 7 weeks old and i have two clowns and clean up crew im thinkin not to worry since i added the clowns only a week ago any ideas how to bring them to normal?? i also do weekly water changes

A pH of 7.8 is totally acceptable.
What are you using for nutrient export? Are you running a sump? Refugium? Algae scrubber? Skimmer? How often are you feeding your fish and how much?

Are you using tap or rodi? Try testing the new saltwater for nitrates. You might also have a bad test kit. It's possible. Have your lfs test your water.

How much are feeding them? Also brine shrimp and mysid shrimp are really high in nitrates and phosphates and will cause water quality issues if feed too often/much.

i cut the the frozen squares into 4 pieces. Is there anything else i could feed them

A variety of food is best. I wouldn't worry too much about nitrates and phos in the food, any food you use will have it, dry foods just have more of it then frozen varieties.

Back