Lumps on Serpent Star

ChPolack

Reefing newb
I have had a serpent brittle star for a couple on months now. Every time I put food into my tank, the star would come out from wherever it was to feed. Lately however, it has become more sluggish. It didn't come out today when I fed the tank, and it appears to be slightly swollen. It also has bumps all over it's central part. Is this possibly a parasite or disease? Or is the star simply preparing to reproduce? It is hiding in the rocks right now so I cannot take a picture of it.

Thanks,
Chris

I have had my aquarium for about 6 months now, and I have always performed a water change once every other week using RO/DI salt water from a local store. I performed a water change last week, so my nitrates are at an OK level.

For inverts, ok level is zero. If they are higher than that, even 10 ppm, it is fatal to them, especially if they are exposed over a long period of time.

Do you know what could possibly cause the lumps on the top of the serpent star? Before, the top of the star was a smooth dome-like shape. Now it has several bumps on the top of it, and it has been sluggish.

Good News! It appears as though the serpent has indeed spawn new serpent stars. There is one about an inch long with a tiny disc in the center. Never knew that would happen.

They dont spawn new serpent stars that way. What you are most likely seeing are micro brittle stars, they are common, but secretive hitch hikers.

Back