Marine Velvet?

Greenman

Reefing newb
I've had 2 fish die recently and very suddenly and im trying to figure out what's going on. I was talking to Rob about possability of marine velvet. Here is a picture of my clownfish which I think may have it but he's been like this for over a week now and shows no sign of stress.

Attachments

• 20140520_202645_7672.jpg
    20140520_202645_7672.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 682
Well that sounds good. I would really have to think if it was velvet the clown would be getting worse so maybe a freak ting and what is showing on the clown is totally unrelated to the other deaths. I am intrigued so please keep us posted. If time passes and things seem ok and you add a new fish make sure it is one at a time and see how the new fish does (and others in tank). Although I do believe a tank could be totally free of a parasite, I also think a parasite could be somewhat present but not show outward signs UNTIL there is a stress change so adding a new fish could trigger it to show its ugly head. For example, when I had Brooklynella, my sailfin and green chromis never showed a sign and are still living and strong today, but each and every new fish added would drop in days looking happy one minute and gone the next. My point is your foxface damsels and sixline could be so strong that the parasite really can not advance but a highly stressed new fish will quickly succumb to it. Just my 2 cents and one of the many opinions out there in this hobby. Wish you well

That's waht im worried about. I want to get a Bartletts Anthias but the fish isnt cheap... almost makes me want to get a "test" fish but it seems so cruel at the same time.

Thats what I would do. I understand you feeling its cruel but what are you left to do. When the time is right (give it more time before doing anyhing and clown looks back to normal) maybe try to get a smaller cheap clown to pair with your recently widowed. I would be CRUSHED if I spent big money on Barletts and it died and all along I had an idea there maybe an issue in my tank. I know it is said over and over about slow and patient but am totaly living that now. Best case, you get a new test fish lives long and prospers and you feel, at least, much more comfortable about adding Barlett, worst case he succumbs to it and now you know there is something you have to deal with. The last option is yo stick with what you have in there now and don't add anything but we know that will not happen. BTW, although do not believe it was the cause maybe the tang got hit with foxface poison spine as they battled for hierarchy. I believe you have a 55 gallon, it is kind off small space for those fish together. Trust me, I am not a person to jump on the tank size to stocking rants, i do want to help what is at issue but thought it could be an issue, i am sure the tang and foxface are on the smaller side yet.

Tang was only 2 inches but the foxface is almost full grown. He's happy as a clam lol. Those 2 actually swam around together so I doubt it was the spines because I lost 2. I did notice the tang become very skinny although he was eating fine so I'm thinking something internal. I'm still confused about the other clown. Also I was told a 55 was fine for a fox face but I could've been told wrong. The tang I went against my better judgment in keeping. My fiancée bought him on a whim as a gift and she didn't know any better.

That looks exactly like the beginning signs of Marine Velvet. There was a two part treatment that was highly recommend for it... but, for the life of me, I can't remember the name. I've had Marine Velvet in a few systems in the past. The fish will start to look worse and worse, and then begin to drop off like flies. You may get a survivor here or there because of healthy immune systems, but on the whole it's pretty detrimental if left untreated. Another problem with marine velvet (that I've noticed) is even if you run a tank fallow for months, it has popped back up without any apparent triggering. For example, in a 55 I had set up as a Softies only tank, I had a serious outbreak of it. All of the fish ended up dieing, and I left the tank fallow for a few months. I kept up with the regular maintenance on it and the corals and inverts did perfectly fine. Once I felt that I had left it fishless for long enough, I threw in a couple of cardinals. After another month, I added a pair of clowns. Now, keep in mind, I QT'd all the fish prior to adding them. Everything seemed fine for the next month, but sure enough, another outbreak occurred. So, I broke the tank down, gave all the rocks a acid bath and then washed them with bleach. Got new sand, and made new water, and have since not had a problem with it. I.M.O. , Marine Velvet is like Herpes. Just keeps coming back when you least expect it :\

I'm beginning to think not because its been a month so far and he's still kickin with no sign of it getting worse or better.

Like I said, you can have survivors of it. I had a Hippo Tang and Lawnmower Blenny survive a outbreak that otherwise decimated a DT. But, if it was Marine Velvet, it's in that system now. And unless you plan on tearing it down and starting over, you'll have to make peace with that fact. Though, I'm hoping for you that it isn't (looks just like it in the pic you posted though)

Marine velvet is an insidious disease. as Rob M said, it's there and can come back. Luckily in reef tanks with a healthy population is filter feeders it gets taken down to safe levels quickly. I just lost Morticia to it, Gomez has it, but a freshwater dip seems to have helped him whereas is didn't help Morticia. I've never had copper get the upper hand on it in my almost 40 years of marine fish keeping. I've tried copper, formalin and ABX to guard against a secondary bacterial infection with very little success.

Well everything is doing great. even got a new Bi-Color angelfish and she's happy as a clam. Not sure what happened. Freak accident im assuming.

There is also a new strain of ich that they're calling The Red Sea ich and it rips through a tank in a day and there isn't a damn thing that can be done about it. A friend that's a wholesaler told me about it. He said he thinks it started in Sri Lanka which I believe more than it being from the Red Sea.

Back