Micro bubbles

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
My return spout is spewing a gazillion micro bubbles. It started after I replaced the bioballs in the back chamber of my nano with LR, chaeto and a skimmer. When I turn the water pump off the bubbles stop. I turn it back on and then a few moments after I hear the water pour and drop a few inches from chamber 1 to 2 the bubbles start. Yes, I systematically turned off the skimmer and koralia 1 and the bubbles continued. I'm thinking the tiny waterfall from chamber 1 to 2 is causing the bubbles or maybe the water pump had got some air slipping in thru a loose fitting, but I checked that.

Also, micro bubbles are bad for the fish?

im not sure if there bad or not, someone will know. So the bubles aren't coming from your skimmer? if it is coming from the baffle from chamber 1 to 2 you could go get some bubble diffuser i think is what it's called. It's like a mesh sponge, not sure how else to better describe it. some protein skimmers have it on them to help get rid of micro bubble as water leaves the skimmer. You may be able to find some at any pet store that sells fresh or salt water supplies, just cut it so it fits snug in the baffles.

Microbubbles are harmful to fish. Minimize them as much as possible. A little here and there is okay if you can't eliminate them all, as long as fish aren't forced to constantly swim through them.

do you or someone else you know have a pump that you try to see if it's your pump. my mag7 pump has a bubble diffuser on the end of it, not sure if yours has something similar. a pic of the sump may help determine the source.

do you or someone else you know have a pump that you try to see if it's your pump. my mag7 pump has a bubble diffuser on the end of it, not sure if yours has something similar. a pic of the sump may help determine the source.

Alas, I do not have a spare pump. I took mine apart and cleared it. Maybe I need to look at it under good light for a loose fitting. Anyone ever heard of bad pumps causing bubbles? I mean if I have a sponge just before the pump, its got to be the pump, yes, no?

did you clean your pump while you were replacing the bio balls with LR and macro. it's definetly possible you missed something while you had your pump apart. Is there lots of bubbles in your return pump chamber or anywhere in your sump?

Back