Montipora growth rate?

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
I picked up three frags of this yesterday. Since these are my first frags, and I've added new lights, these will be my baseline for growth. Any rule of thumb as to how fast this stuff grows? I know a lot depends on water quality, but when COULD I start seeing growth?

Out of the SPS corals, montis are some of the fastest growing. But if you try to compare their growth rate to LPS and softies, they grow much slower. You may start to see growth after a month or two.

Also, a white ring around the edge can be an indication of growth - not bleaching. I made a very noob mistake of thinking mine was bleaching and disturbing it - it eventually died. Now I realize it was just growing and would still be around if I'd left it alone!

My monti cap, monti digi, and tyree birdsnest have far outstripped both my LPS and my softies. I am HIGHLY impressed with them, and I really love all three corals. Both montis have doubled in size since I got them, and the birdsnest has easily tripled. The only other coral that comes close to that sort of growth is my Green Bay Packers zoas. They're pretty rockin' too.

Back