My 87g Reef Tank

Redsprint

Reefing newb
Hello All,

Here are a few pics of my 87g reef tank.

Cheers

Paul

Attachments

• Resize Aquarium pics 2011 004.jpg
    Resize Aquarium pics 2011 004.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,677
  • Resize Aquarium pics 2011 007.jpg
    Resize Aquarium pics 2011 007.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 2,448
  • Resize Aquarium pics 2011 005.jpg
    Resize Aquarium pics 2011 005.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 2,016
+1 to that! Have you been limited to certain corals with the angel in there?
+2,,beautiful Asfur,,thats one you don't see a lot,my koran(also a pomacanthus) ate almost every frag i tried:lol:
Did you grow him out?

Last edited:
Hey Thanks guys. I have only had the Asfur (Buster) for a month. I could,t resist as I could hand feed him at the Shop. He has not touched a coral yet. BUT I expect I am setting myself up for trouble. My Koran nipped about half the corals I tried, though not mushrooms, Zoe,s etc. Still loved him though. Hope you noticed Scooter the clown fish. He was my first fish sixteen years ago!

The current look is only two weeks old after I had to tear the reef apart to quarantine Buster for an eye infection. I also tossed my cheaper T 5 globes for some ATI ones after doing some research hereband elsewhere. I would like to get LEDs next year if they are really better and when they become a bit cheaper. If anyone can recommend some brands to look out for state side I would appreciate it.

I have a Nano tank too. Will post pics tonight.

Cheers

Paul

I have to say, that your tank is too small for any angel except the dwarfs. Beautiful fish though.

Yes I know the tank is a bit small especially as he grows. However where he was he was likelly to end up bought by someone who goes through fish very quickly which I find depressing. At least I always do my best to keep my fish alive and happy (to the extent that you can tell). I have plans to get a slightly larget tank in future, but it is unlikelly to be much bigger. Maybe 10g bigger or so. If he grows too much I will look for a better home for him, but ONLY if I am comfortable that it is a better home. My LFS was telling me about customers who buy about five new exotic fish every eight weeks or so (having lost the previous ones). I think that is awefull. I have seen a guy walk out with six new fish incuding three Angels. He had had three big melt downs in his tank in eighteen months. Criminal.:grumble:

BTW My original LFS who were fantastic (now retired) would tell you that just about all large Angels will nip coral. I think that is true, depending a little on the individual. He would have talked me out of the Asfur I think. However he did say the Semi Angel ( which he swore was not the same as a Koran- though it seems to me that it is) was a safer bet than most). He was my previous favourite fish who got pop eye after a few years, recovered but was blind in that eye and eventually died about two years after that. His reaction to me putting cataphyllia in the tank was YUM Dinner!! Took me a while to work out why it never opened.

Paul

Last edited:
Yes I know the tank is a bit small especially as he grows. However where he was he was likelly to end up bought by someone who goes through fish very quickly which I find depressing. At least I always do my best to keep my fish alive and happy (to the extent that you can tell). I have plans to get a slightly larget tank in future, but it is unlikelly to be much bigger. Maybe 10g bigger or so. If he grows too much I will look for a better home for him, but ONLY if I am comfortable that it is a better home. My LFS was telling me about customers who buy about five new exotic fish every eight weeks or so (having lost the previous ones). I think that is awefull. I have seen a guy walk out with six new fish incuding three Angels. He had had three big melt downs in his tank in eighteen months. Criminal.:grumble:

I couldn't agree with you more about choosing the right home for your fish.. I was left a 350g reef tank and a 300g tank housing just a grouper... and I've been trying to sell it, long story short the buyer for the 350g was being difficult about the day to take the tank, we were selling him everything, livestock, tank, sump but he specifically wanted it for a party he was having early September and we realized this guy thought that he was just going to take home the tank and all the fish and coral and just dump it right back into the tank, killing everything.. so in the end I am now keeping the tank in fear of people killing it off.

But buy buying a fish that ill suited for your tank, and the vast majority of tanks out there you send a message to the owner of the store that those fish sell well, and he should buy more. I guess I believe that i have power with what i purchase, and by not purchasing fish that i know wont flourish in my tank, i show the owner of the store they are better off not buying them because i wont buy them.

Very nice looking tank. Congrats on a sixteen year old fish, that's an incredible acievement.

Thanks Coolhand.

Yes I am very fond of him. He is 16 plus whatever he was when captured in the wild. The female died after about 5 years. I replaced her and that one died after about the same amount of time. Now he is a widower. I was told by a marine biologist they could live over twenty years.

Very tough though. During the big tank rebuild a couple of weeks ago there was near disaster when I couldn't find him in the big styrofoam box the fish were in whilst I rebuilt my rock work. I honestly thought he had jumped out and died somewhere. I would have been inconsolable.

Later when I looked at the tank with a coup,le of inches of cold milky water in it. There he was! I had trial fitted the rock with his anenome in the tank for a minute before putting it back in the box. It was upside down in mid air for maybe ten seconds or more. He had obviously hung onto it or visa versa and ended up in the 2 inches of water, where he stayed, unknown to me, for two hours. Murky. No heater.:shock:

No wonder he bites me every time I clean the glass or move a coral.:mrgreen:

cheers

Paul

Back