My Chalk Bass killed my Exquisite Wrasse

viperbjd

Reefing newb
Hi guys,
First time poster long time creeper...that doesn't sound right...

Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone ever had this same problem. I have a 55 gal display tank with two tomato clown, a neon goby, and a chalk bass...and I was thinking to myself what fish should I add to my tank...a wrasse of course...to I go to my LFS and they had two Exquisite Wrasses which after doing all of my research was one of my top three choices...so I decided to get it. Got it home put it in my tank and it ran and hid...typical right...next morning for feeding out it comes to eat and everything seemed fine...went to work came home didn't see it for two days. My roommate said he saw the fish chasing each other and tonight I found the Wrasse in the back of my tank with a hole in his side...dirty Chalk bass must have got him good....

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone ever had problems this this combination of fish? I know they somewhat look the same so that could have been the problem...idk:(

Thanks for your input
Brian

Last edited:
What a bummer! I'm sorry for your loss...you know what's weird?...one liveaquaria it says they are "not aggressive towards other fish" just shows that you can do all your research and those darn fish always end up having a mind of their own....
Maybe only add semi-aggressive fish from now on?
I haven't read yet of anyone having a chalk bass, doesn't seem to be a common addition, hopefully there is someone with experience will chime in....

Im sorry to hear about your fish, however, i dont think the bass killed your fish. Generally the bulling goes on for a few weeks before one of the fish calls it quits. For whatever reason the wrasse just didnt make it.

Im sorry to hear about your fish, however, i dont think the bass killed your fish. Generally the bulling goes on for a few weeks before one of the fish calls it quits. For whatever reason the wrasse just didnt make it.

I don't know to me it was a definite bite mark and I saw him when he was still flopping around all crazylike so it's not like something took a bite out of him after the fact...the only other thing I can think of is that it's my bigger Tomato...who I'm hoping is done abusing my smaller one and they will pair up...oh well what can you do...time to figure out my next fish...

It's possible the bite mark was postmortem, possibly even by cuc. He probably was already super stressed when you got him, and the bullying didn't help things.

Back