My Fairy Wrasse

PRC

Stop Quoting Me!
The other day (4 days ago) I noticed my fairy wrasse was missing. I've been so busy lately that he may have been MIA for a few days before that. Anyway, once I located him, he was hiding in the rocks (not normal for him). When I finally coaxed him out I noticed one of his eyes was popeyed. (I immediately assumed some sort of bacterial infection) I tested all of my parameters and everything was perfectly normal.

I'm not in love with the fish so I figured I'd just let nature take it's course. I actually told my wife that I'd lost a fish I didn't think he'd make it through the next day....Here we are 4 days later, the popeye is almost completely gone and he's swimming around like normal.

I didn't notice any bite marks on him, no other marks that I can see.

Any thoughts? I'm assuming he got into an argument, but I don't know.

Popeye is usually caused by poor water quality, or a physical injury like a bump or a scratch (lots of times fish get it when they are moved in a net -- the net scratches their eyeball). Since your water quality is fine, he may have just brushed up against a rock or something.

My leopard wrasse somehow got popeye somewhere between being placed in the bag at my LFS and making it into my tank. I still don't know how she got it. She hid in the sandbed for two straight days, came out for about an hour the third day and on the fourth her eye was totally fine.

I actually had a clown go on the overflow amusment ride. He got stuck on the screen. Not sure how long he was there, could have been up to 16 hours, but his eye was popped out for about a week after that.

It really dont take much for em to get popeye.A coral could have stung his eye and caused it while he was chasin a pod.

Back