My fish vanished...

twps

Reefing newb
Last night before I went to bed all of my fish (2 yellow tail & 1 domino damsel) were all swimming around as per normal. This morning the domino is gone, no where to be found. The two yellow tail are acting very strange, just sitting in one spot, not eating, etc.

I've checked everywhere and cannot find the domino anywhere, in the tank or on the floor around it. I checked my water parameters and they're all fine.

I'm not overly concerned about losing the fish, but where did it go?

Do you have a cleaner crew? If so, they probably ate it and took care of it, like they are supposed to. Bristleworms can take care of a small fish like that in a matter of hours!

+1 Biff Just the other day, I had 3 chromis when I went to bed...next day, 1 went missing, no body parts anywhere. Just happens. CUC are efficient like that.

The hermits would have made a nice meal out of the fish. That's their job. That's the whole reason you have those animals in the tank -- you don't want dead stuff to stick around long enough for you to see it! Because that means it's also sticking around long enough to spoil the water.

That's amazing, that they could do that so quickly. I've noticed he was getting bullied after the lights went out. Maybe they finished him off.

Over the years I have had probably 5 fish die on me. Only found one body. And it was mostly gone when I did find it.

Those bristleworms are the :pooh: when it comes to eating the :death::mrgreen:

If you have LR, you have em. They are nocternal and you rarely see them when lights are on. One night, look through your tank with the a flash light.

My Nassarius and peppermints tear things up fast! Just today, I watched them devour a dead snail in minutes. On the other hand, I lost one of my Cardinals for a few hours, and I thought the snails were eating him! I don't suppose the domino could still be hiding out?

If he was being bullied by the other fish, then he very well could be hiding out. But I think he/she looked for the fish and didn't find it.

My firefish was MIA for at least 2 weeks when I first put him in the 125g....no sign of him, not even a tail. He popped up eventually. I no longer look for him when he goes missing for a couple of days cuz I've figured he's just hidin' out.

This is just strange. The domino was the active one of the three fish I have/had. What I also find odd is that the other two are hiding, not eating. There is zero activity in my tank now. :(

It is obvious what happened.

The two of them got wrapped up in the heat of the moment. Their energies were feeding off of each other. And before they knew it, they had murdered an innocent fish.

They were shocked at what they had just done. Could it really be possible? Were they really monsters? Or were they just two excitable fish, swept away in the spur of the moment bloodlust in which they found themselves, uncontrollably, wrapped up.

They couldn't even look each other in the eyes. They knew what they had done, but couldn't confront it. So they went their separate ways, to their caves, to deal with their agony alone. The guilt from what they had done continued to eat away at them from the inside out. They were consumed by these feelings of sorrow. Oh, what ever could possess them to dispatch of their damsel comrade in such a way?!?!

Unable to eat, unable to move, paralyzed by the fear, guilt and sadness, the two damsels remained, alone, terrified of who they had become.

This is just strange. The domino was the active one of the three fish I have/had. What I also find odd is that the other two are hiding, not eating. There is zero activity in my tank now. :(

He was active because he was looking for an escape route.

I don't think it's strange at all for 2 animals of the exact same species to gang up on the one that doesn't fit....You're not really surprised that 3 damsels got in a fight..That's what they do. They kill each other, the forum tried to tell you that when you made the purchase. I'm not trying to beat you up, but it's not strange.

They're not hiding, they are probably waiting to see if the domino had friends, when his friends don't show up, they'll come out and kill each other.

It is obvious what happened.

The two of them got wrapped up in the heat of the moment. Their energies were feeding off of each other. And before they knew it, they had murdered an innocent fish.

They were shocked at what they had just done. Could it really be possible? Were they really monsters? Or were they just two excitable fish, swept away in the spur of the moment bloodlust in which they found themselves, uncontrollably, wrapped up.

They couldn't even look each other in the eyes. They knew what they had done, but couldn't confront it. So they went their separate ways, to their caves, to deal with their agony alone. The guilt from what they had done continued to eat away at them from the inside out. They were consumed by these feelings of sorrow. Oh, what ever could possess them to dispatch of their damsel comrade in such a way?!?!

Unable to eat, unable to move, paralyzed by the fear, guilt and sadness, the two damsels remained, alone, terrified of who they had become.

HMMMM,,,Maybe.:mrgreen:

Heard any clicking coming from the tank?

Back