my green stag

Brian_G

overly obsessed
well i have had a green stag for about a month now and it seemed to be doing well.
the color on it changed a little, it went from green to a greenish brown but i though that was just because of the lighting change. It continued to grow.

well I just not looked in my tank and its peeling? like the green is peeling off and its white underneath?

what happend? or is happening?

water peramaters are normal. its in a high flow area. Its moderately high in the tank....

well it is definitely a possibility for the flow to be too high. its 6 inches from a powerhead.

i will try to get a picture

IMAG0030.jpg

its hard to see but maybe you can see it

6 inches might be too close. try directing the powerhead away from it slightly. It may be able to recover, or maybe not. If your temp, alk/calc and other params are good, then I'd say it's the flow. Is it especially peeling on the side that's directly blasted?
IMO the lighting shouldn't be the cause, but it is possible I guess.

Just saw the pic, I think that bugger's a goner man :(

yeah i think its gone too. but i wasnt sure why. flow i believe is the reason. its peeling on the opposite side of the blast. the base still looks okay though. I only need 1 polyp to live and maybe it will come back? haha

wishful thinking.

it only cost me $13 so its not like losing something HUGE

Well, on second thought, the browning may not be the effect of flow; that could be lighting or nutrients. We need Cccapts advice on this one!

i havent dosed anything in a week.

this is what i checked today

ammonia-0
nitrates-0
po4-.02
alk-9.8
salinity 1.024

and the temp is 77-78 (hits 78 the chiller kicks on to chill to 77)

everything else is doing good.
there is a scripps acro in the upper left corner mounted through the overflow by a magnet and its polyps are fully extended and it looks great. its just the stag thats not doing well.

Last edited:
It's not from flow. I have a coral growing less than 6" from a K-4 and it's getting closer. Can you actually see the skin sloughing off? If so, that could very well be alk burn. A quick upward jump in alk can cause that on some corals while not affect others.

I can't tell from those pics, but it almost looks like bite marks. Can you get a close up pic or check it under a magnifying glass? Could be AEFW (acro eating flat worms).

i did recently add an acro from a lfs i have never bought anything from.

i can see the skin coming off.

i just moved it. it is still green at the top, then peeling in the center and is brown. and the base is green also. the side that was peeling is the side away from the powerhead.

I dont have a magnifying glass :(

Back