My new clove polyp doesn't look so good...

breebauer

Reefing newb
11-08-07040.jpg

I got it about 4 days ago. It has medium flow and medium light. I acclimated it correctly, but I'm a little worried. Any suggestions?

The spots on the sides of the tentacles(?) look like bleaching from detritus not being rinsed on that side maybe you dont have enough flow on one side of the coral, and for the tops being bleached its probably because of the large amount of bleaching on the side it might start to recede and become smaller.

Yeah...those don't look so hot. Did they look that way when you bought them? Or were they open when you bought them? Did you order them online? If you ordered them online and they arrived in that condition, I'd fight for my money back.

True, I would try to get money back or just see if they'll send you a more hardy coral and try to find it locally if you can't get your money back

Were these bought online?
They get easily banged up when shipped through the mail.They will recover nicely but it will take a month or so.They look like how mine arrived from Liveaquaria?

Polyps and zoas seam to be amazingly robust, if your water parameters are good.

I bought a large colony of zoas from a LFS because they were very cheap. Like $15 for 100 zoas on this rock. But, some of them didn't look so hot. 60% of them were shriveled up and I thought they would die. 2 months later, they look fantastic.

Keep your tank healthy and your polyps may pull through. Seams like it takes about a month or 6 weeks though. If they aren't rotting and falling apart--leave 'em alone. If any of them looked rotted or start to fall off the rock--suck them out with a turkey baster. Leave the others alone.

Back