My Panther Grouper

madlynb

madtaz
During the course of reading many posts I have learned that my panther grouper will grow to a decent size and I have noticed him getting more aggressive especially at feeding time. I tried to direct feed my brittle star the other day and the grouper was right there to steal it. I also want to put some gobies and shrimp in my 125 gal. Some advice has indicated that the panther could eliminate them. So, I have a 60 gal, and 55 gal. tank just sitting around. When I am able will the panther be okay in one of these sizes? What other type of fish and CUC can go along with the panther?:fechten2:

Its unfortunate that stores sell panther groupers, they will get about 27" the very minimum tank size should be 180 gallon (I think this is to small) I think that your 60 and 55 are just to small for him to be a happy healthy grouper.

You should be able to keep him with anything that is bigger then his mouth. Puffers, lionfish, tangs, rabbits, triggers etc.

Winy is right, if you want to keep him, you'll have to go bigger, not smaller. He will probably be okay in a smaller tank if he is only a few inches long, but they tend to grow much faster than other fish, so it won't last long.

I agree with the ladies on this one.
Groupers are one of those fish that should be left in the ocean.They get way too big for hobbiests tanks.

I asked a few lfs if they would take my panther grouper and they expressed that if I had no other option that they would. They wouldn't give me a credit for it though because they wouldn't sell it, they would just put into one of their sumps. Does this sound like a fair deal? I am not looking to make money on the fish. Just wanted your guys opinion.

The LFS will probably end up selling it again, but it will probably take them awhile especially if they will be picky about who they sell it to. I have this happen quiet often at my store where a different LFS sells something without asking questions, about a set up.

Its probably a fair deal if you are wanting to keep your gobies and such. It will be easier for the LFS to find him a home when he is younger.

Back