Need Advice On Future Additions

gregredic

Reefing newb
Hello everyone,
I am still somewhat new to saltwater hobby, so I am looking for a few words of wisdom and perhaps personal opinions. I currently have a 110 gallon tank with approximately 140 lbs of LR with coarse crushed coral substrate. I have a 20 gallon refugium with 4" DSB and cheato algea. My lighting consists of 2-65 fluorescent 10,000k and 2-65w actinic compact bulbs with LED moonlight.

Current Livestock:
-Yellow Tang
-Black & White Chromis
-Blue Green Chromis
-Ocellaris Clownfish (2)
-Cleaner Wrasse
-Long Spine Urchin (planning to move it to the refugium once I get soft corals or bringing it back to the store)
-Sally Lightfoot (3)
-Hermits (approx. 8-10)
-Zebra Turbo Snail
-Nassarius Snail (approx. 5-7)
Want:
-Blue Mandarin
-Spotted Mandarin
-Flame Angel
-Blue Hippo Tang
-Imperator Angelfish or Koran Angelfish
-Copperband Butterflyfish (also okay with other types of butterflyfish that would work better with my setup)
-Bangaii Cardinals
-Australian Black Percula Clownfish (2)
-A goby that would work with crushed coral
-Want some reef safe wrasse
-Some sort of shrimp that will live well with corals and desired future fish
Goal:
-Have a reef tank that has soft corals. Wanting corals with a lot of color, while being hardie is most important.

Would the livestock that I want work with what I already have (excluding the urchin) and would they work well with my goal of getting into soft corals? Are their any other colorful fish that anyone would recommend that I consider?

If you have a 110g, it will be too small for the blue hippo and imperator angel - not sure about the Koran angel. I think you'd be okay with a flame or coral beauty angel, I've heard both tend to do okay in reef tanks (but it depends on the individual fish). Good luck!!

I like my Flame Angel so I'll put in a vote for it in yours! I was concerned that it might bother the coral, but some advice here helped me overcome that fear. It doesn't look twice at my corals but it did become a big meanie when I added my last fish. Again with some advice from here, it calmed down and is as good as ever.

The Imperator, Koran and Hippo will all get to large for a 110g. Also I think you're only gonna be able to only keep 1 Mandarin unless its a pair. As for Butterfly's I have 3 in my 180g (Threadfin, Klien, Pakistan) I would go with either a Vagabond or Threadfin over a Copperband as they are much easier to get eating prepared foods and somewhat easier to keep as far as Butterfly's go. Plus all Butterfly's will pick at some corals.

Back