Need advice..

clowntank

Reefing newb
Hey, so heres my situation.

I had a 14 G bc with 150 watt MH lighting. It was set up for about around 8 months then got dinoflagellates that killed all my coral and harassed my anemone. I took my fish and anemone back to the LFS to watch. I tried to clean it out and start over but they came back. So I've decided to sell the BC back to them and buy a 29 G BC and completely start over with new LR\LS.

I saw this really nice 25+ head frogspawn at the store and couldn't resist :P It was at a steal price of $6 per head.

So my question is this... once I start the 29G how long should I wait before I add the frogspawn? Its really big so I'm kind of clueless about how long I need to wait after the cycle. Also, if I start over would it be safe to transfer the water from my 14G to the 29G? Or will dinoflagellates travel over and mess up that tank?

Thanks

I'd wait at least a couple of months after the cycle if it was me.
On transfering the water,I cant say it would transfer the dinos too,but I cant say it wont.50/50 shot on that one.

I don't think it will be to big. It would have fit in my 14 g BC lol. But It will be the only coral in the 29g, so I'm sure it'll be fine.

I'm not too sure if it will be able to sustain itself though? Will 29g have enough resources that it needs??

i'm not sure how soon asap is going to be if i've got to wait a couple months after the cycle. Yote, is that so even if I use cured live rock?

But yeah it's really nice, it was split right in half from the mother colony. the other half was then split up into frags, so this is the largest part of the mother colony.

I would definitely NOT use the water from the dino tank! Just start new, and don't use anything from the old tank that could contaminate your new one.

Yeah, I agree.

Though I would like to point out that i have a 5 head (now, anyway-- wasn't when I got it) frogspawn in my BC29, and it takes up half the top of my tank when it's spread out. If the one you're seeing really has that many heads and really is a frogspawn, then it won't fit in a 29gallon tank IME. What you're seeing is probably the frogspawn in it's "unhappy" retracted state. Mine does that when they lights change (on or off), when I do a water change, and sometimes when I put my hand in the tank. I would wait and get a "younger" frag of frogspawn... you'd be surprised how fast they grow under decent lights. Mines put out 3-4 new heads in about 3 months.

Back