Need lighting and hood advice...

bradleyheathhays

Reefing newb
I'm a brand new aquarium owner and I'm trying to set up my first aquarium which is a 125 gal model...measures 72 in long by 23 in high by 18 in front to back. Equipment wise what I have is the aquarium itself, stand, and two used filter/pump systems...a Fluval 404 and a Fluval 304 (hopefully they work). My plan is to set up a fresh water cichlid tank with whatever plants a cichlid tank will allow.

My next step is to purchase a hood/lighting system. And as I don't know a thing about what kind of equipment is out there, or what exactly I should be looking for, I'm writing in here to get some advice before I drop any $$.

What I know so far is that I'm looking for whatever light/hood system would be appropriate for a planted cichlid tank with a nice looking night moonlight option. Both Fluval systems move water into and out of the tank via a 1.5 inch hose. So whatever I settle on would need four openings to accommodate these hoses.

Here's some pics...

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

Each of the three openings measures 21 1/2 x 16 in, and each recess measures 22 1/4 x 16 1/2.

Well, that's about all I know at this point. Can someone give me a brief overview of maybe lighting / hood systems in general, and then suggest a direction I should looking at?

Many many thanks!

Back