nerite snails

marcah

Reef enthusiast
put a new cuc in my 45 yesterday got it from ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae, well anyway consisted of all snails.. The nerite quickly laid a ton of eggs around the tank.. my question is what do you think the chances are of survival, I was thinking pretty good, only three small hermits a peppermint shrimp and a clown goby in there..

i dont know if its really eggs,i got some nerites as well from the same place mine put little white spots on the rocks nothing ever hatched

They are eggs, unfortunately unlike other snails that we keep, nerites don't (or can't) fertilize the eggs in our tanks. The last article I had read on them said there were no documented cases of nerites successfully breeding in captivity.

he set up a package for me with about 45 dwarf ceriths got about 60 hoping they might... had copepods develop in the tank so I guess got something free.. lol not to mention some nice green algae..

Last edited:
I came back from vacation and my nassarius snails had a ton of babies! I have at least 8 new tiny ones all over they are so cute.

IF I remember right.Nerites are actually a brackish water snail.They can live fine in a saltwater tank.They'll go through the breeding process in saltwater,but the eggs want hatch.They got to be laid in freshwater for that.

Back