New 30g saltwater tank

Zena

Reefing newb
My son and I would like to set up a 30g tank. We want to start with live rock, live sand and fish.

I have a Eheim Pro II canister for filtration. It has 2 baskets of media & each is covered with filter material.

Is there a difference in quality of live rock?? I have seen several sites that carry 12 different kinds...what is good? Good place to buy it from without having to take out a second mortgage?

I think I want a hang on the back protein skimmer (good brand??). An inline uv sterilizer (good brand? ). A heater that I can set the exact temp.... and either T5 lights or LED but find that there are so many choices in this department that I don't know what to select .... and keep the cost down. I have an old hood that has a fluorescent lamp but not sure if this will produce enough light to keep the live rock alive. Don't know if I will need a power head for extra water movement or not. I need to buy a portable RO device that I can hook up to a bathroom faucet. A good brand to buy that works well? Have I missed any equipment?? I need a good testing kit....what would be a good brand to buy??

Lastly, how do I find my post...is there a button or link where I check on just my post??
I have been on the internet and other sites reading and reading..... the articles haven't made me more comfortable about setting up a tank...just scared the heck out of me. I have a catalog from Dr Foster & Smith....is that a good place to buy things or too expensive. Is there a better place?

Someone must have some ideas or opinions on equipment. Please....here you have a person asking for help before setting up so it can be done right the first time around. I really could use some help.

I don't recommend a canister. It just keeps the junk connected to your tank and lets it fester in there, which raises nitrate levels. It will cause headaches in the long run. I just recommend live rock and a good protein skimmer. The best kind of live rock would be a very porous kind. That way you can have plenty of live bacteria that grows in there as well as being able to have a large volume of rock without having to pay a ton of money for it, in contrast to a small dense rock. I have a HOB protein skimmer by the brand called "Reef Octopus" and it works really well. However I don't know the exact product that would fit your tank. Probably a skimmer that is rated to double your tank size. I don't have a UV sterilizer so I can't give you any info on that. And yes, a powerhead is necessary. A cheap and relatively ok working brand is koralia. And what kind of livestock are you thinking of? Just fish? Or also coral? Because then that would affect what kind of lighting you should buy. Andd welcome to the site!

I don't recommend a canister. It just keeps the junk connected to your tank and lets it fester in there, which raises nitrate levels. It will cause headaches in the long run. I just recommend live rock and a good protein skimmer. The best kind of live rock would be a very porous kind. That way you can have plenty of live bacteria that grows in there as well as being able to have a large volume of rock without having to pay a ton of money for it, in contrast to a small dense rock. I have a HOB protein skimmer by the brand called "Reef Octopus" and it works really well. However I don't know the exact product that would fit your tank. Probably a skimmer that is rated to double your tank size. I don't have a UV sterilizer so I can't give you any info on that. And yes, a powerhead is necessary. A cheap and relatively ok working brand is koralia. And what kind of livestock are you thinking of? Just fish? Or also coral? Because then that would affect what kind of lighting you should buy. And welcome to the site!
Thank you Reefnoob! Great advice. See no one has told me that a canister would cause headaches in the long run! I will look for the protein skimmer called Reef Octopus ... and one that's rated for at least twice the size of my tank. I would like to get coral but I need to get the tank up and running first.... then once established and there is some $$ then think of coral. However I would like to plan ahead and get a good light that will cover coral when I get some. Ideas. Will look for the power heads too. Livestock. I want a few fish. I can't decide on one fish that I want to be my center piece. Since I have a small tank that limits what I can get and how many. I would like some reef cleaners for algae maybe shrimp or crabs. I would like a star fish that sifts the sand. Clam for interest and anything else that will add movement or interest to the tank. Have a good source for rock ...? I will look for porous and branchy. Maybe some slabs to create some shelves and overhangs. If I buy rock from someone on Craigslist can that cause problems...harboring unseen problems?

It all depends on how good the rock is that the person is selling. I just went to my LFS so I could pick each of the rocks that I wanted.

You technically don't need light to keep live rock "live" unless there's some kind of macro algae or something on it. The "live" part of the rock refers to the fact that there's bacteria already established.

You'll need a clean up crew (snails, crabs, shrimp). Fluorescent will get you by until you decide to add corals and then you'll need to upgrade.

You're limited fish wise in a 30 gallon. Three fish at the most.

Do lots of research. Ask lots of questions. Welcome to the reef.

You can find live rock on Craigslist cheap. As for the type? It's all in what pleases your eye. One word of caution, if you're a female take someone with you, WAY too many nutjobs on CL anymore. I had a young lady show up at my house at 8pm one night to buy some live rock, not very safe. Do get a good skimmer and get rid of the canister filtre. Freshwater people will pay good money for that Eheim canister.

Since the canister isn't a great idea to have on a saltwater...what do I use instead?? Will the protein skimmer take the place of the canister?? What is a good brand of a protein skimmer?? Do I set up a 10g tank underneath the 30 gallon and put the protein skimmer in there along with a heater and have an inline UV sterilizer .... I think hooking everything up to work correctly is tough... I don't know what I'm doing...I feel like I'm flying blind.

Really, I only get 3 fish in my tank??

What about a uv sterilizer?

For me to get good live rock I have to travel at least 1.5 hrs. There is hardly ever any saltwater stuff going up for sale on Craigslist that is near me. As for a RO system....who sells one that's good but not costing an arm and a leg?

A protein skimmer will help remove excess nutrients from your water which removes food for algae, the live rock is your bio filter, in a saltwater tank with the proper amount of live rock and water flow you don't need a filter, a sump of any size makes things easer but you don't need to have one. 10 gallons is a small tank to work in so if you do add a sump go with at least a twenty gallon.

I have a Buckeye Field Supply RO unit here and I love it. Here, you have a hell of a time giving live rock away. If you have to travel that far, getting a box delivered might be a good option. ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY NO on the UV sterilizer.

Back