New Camera = New Pic

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
The poor animals must dread the day I get new toys. :mrgreen:

Picked up the new Olympus EP-1.
This is a strange animal for me (no pun intended) so I'm a) learning how to use it/learning how to squeeze the pics out of it that I know it's capable of, and b) deciding if I'm going to like it enough to keep it.
I think I'm making positive progress on both accounts.
Both shot with the 14-42 kit lens.

This one was shot at iso 2000! Pretty clean for that high of an iso.
3755912435_aa726ca3de_o.jpg

This one was "only" iso 1000.
3756712296_cddac7220d_o.jpg

awesome pictures and great quality for such a high iso, but why invest in the 4/3rds system

Micro 4/3 actually.

I needed a new point and shoot camera (hated my D-Lux 4) and I was intrigued by a small(er) camera with interchangeable lenses and dslr quality pics for when i don't want to walk around or travel with the big dslr.

Great shots! That's one hairy dog.

LOL, actually he's a Maltese but we keep him with a "puppy" cut instead of the really long hair they are supposed to have. The hair on the dog bed is from my husky who sheds like mad year round. The maltese doesn't shed at all, different kind of fur.

yea, i would have really expected more "grain" on the 2000iso, but its clean... and a really pretty picture... the outside of my tank is too dirty to get pics like that right now.

my question is: is the fin blurred due to depth of field, or due to slower shutter speed and motion?

I'm gonna guess a little of both, with a iso of 2000, that would push the shutter speed up, and or push the apeture up, either way causeing more blur on the DOF, but i'd also guess that the fin was moving fairly rapidly as well...

What kind of fish is that big white beast? That is an amazing shot of a clown fish. I am not sure I'd ever be able to shoot mine like that because he just moves around entirely too much. That is some amazing detail though.

yea, i would have really expected more "grain" on the 2000iso, but its clean... and a really pretty picture... the outside of my tank is too dirty to get pics like that right now.

my question is: is the fin blurred due to depth of field, or due to slower shutter speed and motion?

I'm gonna guess a little of both, with a iso of 2000, that would push the shutter speed up, and or push the apeture up, either way causeing more blur on the DOF, but i'd also guess that the fin was moving fairly rapidly as well...

Hard to say. Could be a little of both like you say. You can see I also lost detail on his head/face.
I shot at 2000 iso so I could get a higher shutter speed and smaller aperture (greater dof).

Back