New nano reef

Josh

Reefing newb
Hello everyone, my name is Josh and I wanted to post today and get as much feed back as possible. Today I ordered a fluval edge 12 gal and this will be my first saltwater tank. My plan is to make a nano reef. The tank comes with lighting and the filtration system. I need recommendations for heating, powerhead, thermometer, and testing kit. When the tank comes in I'm going to go to the local aquarium shop and pick out some live rock and sand. Another problem I'm facing is my water. I live in a apartment and cannot add a RO water system. Should I buy distilled water from store? Or buy water from the aquarium store. I still have a lot of questions and research to do as far as adding salt and getting the levels right. I would like to start a month cycle as soon as possible. Any feed back helps! Thanks guys, I'm really excited to get things going.

Hey Josh!

API has decent test kits for just starting out and their saltwater kit has all the basics. As for the rest of the stuff... I don't personally have a preference on heaters or thermometers but some of the super tech-heavy boys will hopefully weigh in for you.

What are you planning on stocking? I have a nano reef as well and they are very challenging (especially for a first saltwater tank) so we're here for you when you need us.

Thanks for the advice!! I will definitely check it out. I'm thinking about stocking with catalina goby, black and white clownfish, blood red red fire shrimp, and clown goby. As far as coral, I'm planning on mushroom of course, finger leather, some buttons, star burst, and much more. Also decided on live sand and rock.

Glad that you're planning! Hate to break it to you, but 4 fish in such a small tank could be pushing it. However, I've never tried such a small tank before so I can't speak from experience. Make sure you add your livestock slowly.

I'd recommend a clown to start with. They don't really need to be in a pair and noob is right. Four is really pushing it. I'd do two at the most.

I'm also going to warn you about the leather. They're kind of notorious for chemical warfare and they win that war. I had a toadstool leather in my little tank for a month or so... I ended up bringing it back to my LFS because it made everything else shrivel up.

I'd recommend a clown to start with. They don't really need to be in a pair and noob is right. Four is really pushing it. I'd do two at the most.

I'm also going to warn you about the leather. They're kind of notorious for chemical warfare and they win that war. I had a toadstool leather in my little tank for a month or so... I ended up bringing it back to my LFS because it made everything else shrivel up.

Thanks for the tip. Can I push it for two fish and a shrimp? Lol just add them slowly? Like I said above my tank came in yesterday. I'm going to start my cycle this Sunday! I'm going natural route, live sand, live rock, a dead shrimp. What do you think about bottle bacteria? I have heard good and bad things. I Also decided to mix my own water and let it sit with powerhead and thermometer for 24 hrs make sure levels are right then add to tank. I have a 12gal I'm thinking about 10lbs of rock, and 15lbs sand. I want enough sand and rock to get de nitrication so I don't need water changes every week. What do you think? Well post pics of my aquascape this Sunday. You have no idea how excited I'am!

Haha. I think I have an idea how excited you are. ;)

Inverts (your shrimp, crabs, snails) don't count towards your bioload so you're good there. Have you thought about a clean up crew?

Bottled bacteria (imo) is a waste of money. Just wait your cycle out and it'll be fine. You will have to do water changes, though. There's no way around that no matter how much rock and sand you have. What you're thinking is fine though (though I'd swap the numbers... 10# of sand and 15# of rock).

Finally! My tank is up and running like a champ. 16lbs of rock, and 12lbs of sand!!

Attachments

• 0506151930.jpg
    0506151930.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 325
  • 0506151931a.jpg
    0506151931a.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 315
  • 0507150830a.jpg
    0507150830a.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 307
Thanks! I added one more rock and it looks even better now! Just put in a dead shrimp from LFS and a pinch of fish food. My salitaty is a bit low at 1.020 so with evaporation I'm going to use saltwater instead till it levels out.

Attachments

• 1431057656764104657558.jpg
    1431057656764104657558.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 285
Tank update,
Nothing cool and exciting just yet. Its day 4 and no ammonia yet :( I did manage to spot a small brittle starfish in the live rock. I saw him today for the second time in the sand. He is super small but brought joy. In my research I found him to be a great addition to the tank acting as a clean up crew. What do you think?

Yea still have the shrimp in there. The brittle is hanging out with him in the sand. I skipped a day on feeding.

Looking good! I'm glad you added that extra rock, it helps balance the look somehow :thumbsup:

Thank you! I can't wait to have it stuffed with coral and add some livestock. I'm in the process of upgrading my lighting and I have a small HOB protein skimmer being shipped. I will have to modify skimmer to work with my tank but should work out great.

Back