New/used sump Question

Slimkasey

Reefing newb
I just got a used Wet/Dry Trickle sump filter that I want to attach to my tank.

It was used on Freshwater tank from a friend who has been disease free with his fish, but there is some bacteria on the bio balls and some of the sponge filters, is there anything I should be treating that filter with before I add it to mine?

Bio balls arent really good for salt tanks the become nitrate factories. Sponges also have to be rinsed weekly or they become nitrate factories. I have live rock and cheato in my sump, no socks no sponges....really basic, water comes in to the skimmer section, then the refugium with live rock and chaeto, then a bubble trap and return pump section...Very much the KISS principle is the way to go.

Bio balls arent really good for salt tanks the become nitrate factories. Sponges also have to be rinsed weekly or they become nitrate factories. I have live rock and cheato in my sump, no socks no sponges....really basic, water comes in to the skimmer section, then the refugium with live rock and chaeto, then a bubble trap and return pump section...Very much the KISS principle is the way to go.

Newbie question: what is cheato?

It is a macro algae that a lot of people use in their sump/refugiums to use up nitrates and phosphates so other types of nuisance algaes don't grow in the display tank.

Last edited:
It is a macro algae that a lot of people use in their sump/refugiums to use up nitrates and phosphates so other types of nuisance algaes don't grow in the display tank.

Thanks...I am a newbie to reef tanks. Such valuable information on this site, not really a need to go anywhere else. I was confused by the idea of sumps, but am learning as I research more and more :Cheers:. I know now that I want a sump/refugium with live rock and chaeto.

Back