Next step

scubacane

Reefing newb
I have had a 14 gallon biocube for the past 6 months and am definitely addicted to marine aquariums. I am interested in starting a more complex tank - maybe a 75 gallon reef tank and need more information. When setting up my biocube I found the book " The New Marine Aquarium " By Michael Paleta to be invaluable but now I need a more advanced resource. Does anyone know about any texts out there with more advanced info? I am starting to price metal halide lighting, protein skimmers, 100 plus pounds of live rock, power heads, and refugiums, not to mention the tank itself and know its going to be quite a finacial commitment so I want to do it right. What would your ideal setup be for a 75 gallon reef tank from lighting to refugium?

I like halides for a bigger than 4 foot long tank. I would use T-5 lighting for a 75 or 90.

-Doc

how are T5s different from MHalides? Can you get enough watts for corals and anemones with them and are they cheaper than MHs?

yes. T-5 lighting is cheaper than MH. they are strong enough to keep clams, sps, lps, everything. they do not have a superior penetration depth, which is their only downfall in my opinion. they effectively penetrate about 18 inches, which is perfect for your 75. You can keep your SPS near to top half and your clam on the bottom and everything in between without much problem. Larger reef tanks, such as a 200+ tend to have depths of more than 28 inches, which require MH lighting to reach the bottom for coral growth. Since your tank will be about 20 inches in depth, T-5 lighting will be perfect. the other thing that MH does is give that "shimmering" look to the water, which some people crave. Me? not worth the extra $400 for the difference between the lighting.

MH have their own problems, such as cost of replacing bulbs and the fact that they create intense heat which on a smaller tank may mean that you have to install a chiller. Not for me.

nems are a piece of cake with T-5 lighting.

-Doc

Also I came across this book online w/ a lot of positive feedback from amazon
The Reef Aquarium: Science, Art, and Technology, Vol. 3 (Hardcover)

by Julian Sprung (Author), J. Charles Delbeek (Author)
Anyone have it?

I believe Jhnrb has that entire series of books. You might want to PM him about it.

And Doc is right on about T5 vs. MH. T5s would be perfect for a 75 gallon tank, and are half the price.

My ideal 75 setup would be a reef ready tank,a good set of T5-HO lighting w/ individual reflectors with at least 6 banks of bulbs,at least 30g sump with a refugium incorporated and a good sump skimmer like the Octopus.

The book Ryan mention is considered the fish bible to many aquarist....I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
Back